Tattoos and work

Options
michis05
michis05 Posts: 99 Member
I applied for a job as a receptionist for a job, only problem was that the costumers had been complaining about the workers and their tattoos. They recently had to let someone go because of her tats. From what one of the workers told me, its the costumers complaining not the managers, but if they see them on me, they wont hire me. Is this legal? has anyone been in this situation? how did you handle it?

Replies

• otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Is this legal? Yes.
    has anyone been in this situation? Yes.
    how did you handle it? Cover them up.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Nope, I work in a very laid back place, however, if I would not be hired due to my art, I would not want to work there in the first place....people need to learn to not judge so quickly....
  • michis05
    Options
    well that blows..this job was perfect though..id get the weekends off!! I am still gonna go check it out...im in no position to reject a job but if i see they make a huge deal during the interview ill just walk out (not literally)
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Is this legal? Yes.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    If they hire you knowing you have tattoos, they cannot legally fire you for them. If you hid them while interviewing and tattoos are against company policy, they can let you go.

Wow...didn't realize there were still places out there that are so uptight!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    If they hire you already with tats, you still have to comply with the company dress-code policy. In my company, tats must be covered with clothing, band aid, whatever works.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Is this legal? Yes.

Exactly
  • WonderNoodle
    Options

Most professional environments do not allow visible tattoos.
  • michis05
    Options
    seems like the gym attracts older people and they seem to be the ones who are complaining more. its an odd gym if you ask me... trainers wear business clothes while training their clients. I have yet to go in there and see it for myself, but a picture is worth a thousand words. I wont keep it from them, ill be honest and tell them the truth, they arent offensive in anyway, and if they decide not to hire me, well then i atleast gave it a shot..ya know...

If they hire you knowing you have tattoos, they cannot legally fire you for them. If you hid them while interviewing and tattoos are against company policy, they can let you go.

• Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue when I worked in sales I had a Tattoo on my foot and because I wore ballet type pumps to work I used to have to cover it with a bandage or a plaster.
    The place I work now are pretty laid back however and they are ok with tattoo's.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

many corporate jobs are still that way. I know that is in our Dress Code Guidelines that they not be seen. Some girls wear bandaids, some put makeup on them. Crazy, but true.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I have had problems before and it's horrible that people judge because of them.
    I wouldn't want to work for someone that judges me by what's on my skin and not by how I work, if you're good at the job then what's the problem. As long as they are not offensive works then it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I feel it would really depend on the tattoos. DId the other person get fired for having a flower and a unicorn or swastikas and racist jargon or naked ladies in provocative poses. Thats all part of it. Working at a preschool they told me straight up my octopus tattoo was just fine even educational cuz the kids would recognize an animal they were learning about but if my tattoos were ever not PG and the kids could see them they would have to let me go. I respect that.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of places that are still really uptight about tattoos. I'd check to make sure they aren't against company policy, but if they let someone go because of them, it probably is. I've worked at places where I was forced to wear skirts or dresses, no pants, and that included panty hose (torture when you live in the desert Southwest!). Another place where we couldn't wear ANY jewelry with the exception of wedding rings. Another where men weren't allowed any facial hair. Companies can certainly dictate how their employees look and dress, and they do. It's up to you to decide if the job is worth conforming to their rules.

If you can cover yours up, I'd still ask during the interview if they have a policy against them being visible. Better to be upfront about having them and then clearly stating that you'll be more than willing to make sure they're covered when you're on the job.

My son (21) got a tattoo last year and my husband and I were sure to make him realize he didn't want one where it could be seen if he were in short sleeves. He can decide later if he wants them in places more visible, but at his age, he's better off not limiting himself because of his body art.
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    I applied for a job as a receptionist for a job, only problem was that the costumers had been complaining about the workers and their tattoos. They recently had to let someone go because of her tats. From what one of the workers told me, its the costumers complaining not the managers, but if they see them on me, they wont hire me. Is this legal? has anyone been in this situation? how did you handle it?

Here is the deal...there is still a great deal of descrimination against those of us who like body art and unfortunately there is nothing that we can do about it. I am covered in two complete arm sleeves, the rest are pretty well hidden when I choose them to be. There are jobs out there that are good paying that could care less if you have tattoos and even have higher ups that have them (and flaunt them) but these places are far and few between, even today.

I never go to an interview with my tattoos visible and I also remove my nose stud. Even without being able to see my tattoos I've always been told of their policy, some places are 0 tolerance and you have to have them covered at all times and other places are okay with them as long as they're not offensive.

You must decide if you want a job that is so blatently against tattoos over your job preformance. Some places will even use the customers as an excuse when it really isn't the customers. I worked in a surgeons office where my art was being admired by elderly men and women every day!! I've been fortunate that in my last two jobs they could care less and I was able to flaunt them at work as long as I remained in dress code.
  • michis05
    Options
    if they are offensive i understand..but i got the words "eternal love" (in spanish) a small heart a dove and the letter S all on my left arm( wrist and forearm) i think its ridiculous i was in the military and they didnt make a huge deal about it!! Obviously we were covered from head to toe with that uniform but still.
    From what i was told, they "let her go" because the costumers were complaining about her tattoos. She had to doves on her chest, not offensive to me, but hey..to each its own...im telling them i have them and i will cover them up. Not keeping it from them
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Georgia is an at-will employment state, which essentially means there is no such thing as wrongful termination unless you have an employment contract that was breached (an actual contract, not an employment handbook that everyone signs) or unless you were fired for something that would violate public policy or protected class statutes, like race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.

Basically, in an at-will employment state, you can be fired for wearing a shirt your boss hates, and there's nothing you can legally do about it.
  • msbeavert
    Options
    I work within the court system and I'm pretty heavily tattooed. The only time I cover them is if I am in the courtroom. In my own office it's not a big deal. Even when I deal with the general public it doesn't seem to offend anyone. I work in a criminal courthouse so in a way I think some of the clients are more apt to be open with me and see me as an equal.

It's still relatively uncommon to see a woman heavily tattooed though and I get some strange looks from time to time, but mostly I get good humoured questions and often enough people ask me if they can touch them.
  • RokMomma79
    RokMomma79 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Most professional environments do not allow visible tattoos.

I disagree - I have worked in various real estate offices, both commercial and residential, front office and back, met with clients from all ranges of backgrounds for over 8 years with my tattoos exposed (i have arm, back, foot and neck tattoos), and hair colours that ranged across the rainbow. It's not a sign of professionalism if your office has an laid-back view of ink and self expression, it's a sign of acceptance and realization that exterior appearance is no indication of ability, education or work ethic.

I have now worked in a very casual, but highly professional travel/ tour operator office for the last year, I meet with clients and service providers and my tattoos have never been an issue. I always make sure to have them exposed when in an interview situation and if I get the job then clearly it was my ability and experience that weighed more than my ink.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Your tattoos are a choice that you make. Where you work is also a choice that you make. If you don't like the results that come from your choices that is your fault and nobody elses.

It's that simple.