How often / long do you work out

Options
I average about 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes. Is this too little?

On every other Wednesday my job requires me to travel around 3 counties and doing my job standing up ...I count that as exercise (compared to the rest of the time where I sit at a desk) how many more calories do you think I burn on those Wednesdays?? (I don't have a HRM, but want one)

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I average about 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes. Is this too little?

On every other Wednesday my job requires me to travel around 3 counties and doing my job standing up ...I count that as exercise (compared to the rest of the time where I sit at a desk) how many more calories do you think I burn on those Wednesdays?? (I don't have a HRM, but want one)
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    First, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. You can lose weight just by cutting back on eating.

Exercise is needed, however, for toning, cardio health, etc.

Most say that the greatest benefit from exercise comes when you work-out for at least an hour. I usually do 80-90 minutes or so on most days. Your body will switch from using carbs for energy during exercise to using fat reserves at anywhere from the 20 minute to 60 minute mark.

As for how much you burn on days you are standing more, no way to tell without a HRM.
  • Fit2btied
    Options
    I do a 50 minute boot camp 5 days a week plus a brisk walk for 45 minutes. I partner with others to make it more fun and the accountability is there! On days that I don't have them, I struggle!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    5 / 6 days a week for at least an hour. (normally it's running M/W/F, Lifting T/TH, and aerobics or some kind of Cardio on Saturdays. I try to rest on Sundays
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the day for me... Mondays I work all day and then have to cart kids all night. So I used to just skip it. But now, when my husband drives the kids to school, I leave too, and I squeeze in a half hour or so before work. I do have to plan well, because a couple of times, I forgot to take a bra in my bag, so I had to put on my sweaty one after my shower. Ick. Tuesdays I'm at the gym for a while, because there's a class I like, but it doesn't start until 10:30. I drop off the kids by 8. So, I do a lighter workout while waiting, like ride the recumbant bike. It doesn't burn a lot of calories, but when I do it that long, it adds up. Then I do my class and head home. On Wednesdays, I do water aerobics at 9, but again, I have an hour before that, so I lift weights and then hop on the elliptical to get my heart rate up before the class. It used to be a more cardio geared class, but now it's more of a shaping class, different instructors, different styles. Thursdays, I only work a half a day, so I can go read at the library at my son's school for an hour. After that, I go to the gym, and depending on how I feel, it's anywhere from a half hour to an hour. Fridays come to about an hour, a half hour on cardio, and a half hour lifting weights. I've still yet to make it on a weekend, regularly.

I guess if I wasn't hanging around for classes that I liked, it would be a lot less than it is now:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day. It just varies in the times.

walk/jog a minimun of 3 x week for 45 minutes
    2 x week weight training.

I find that if I plan, I will do it.

Other than that I dance when I feel like it, take the stairs, do a 'lap' around the mall before I shop, park waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the parking lot.

I dont even think about it any more. Yesterday they called to tell me my car was ready, I popped on my earphones and HRM and walked to the shop.

I believe every little bit counts. Shore is right about exercise and losing weight.
    I am the type of person that cant think of big goals. If I think I MUST go 60-80 min, I will not even start! Now most of the time I end up with 60-90 through out the day without thinkign about it!

And I would give myself 300-600 calories for standing all day. I stood in line for 6 hours a few weeks ago, and burned 1385 calories (600 of which I would have burned just being).
  • psantacruz
    psantacruz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I try to do at least 45 minutes a day 5 times a week. Over the past week, I've extended that to an hour. I'm thinking within the next few weeks of adding a weightlifting component it, because it's basically been cardio and yoga for the past 4 months.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Whenever the kids let me. I do at least 30 min. 6-7 x/week. I try to do more than that, but the kids take priority most days. When it was warmer, I would do my 30-45 min. of aerobics & then take them all on a 50-60 min. walk, but those days are over now that the cold has come. :grumble: