"Dieting"

Options
Yesterday, my daughter and I spent the day at a pool with friends. At one point, my friend asked if I wanted a particular something to eat and then quickly said "Oh, sorry. I forgot that you were dieting." I was kind of surprised that my gut reaction was "No, I'm not dieting." I recoiled internally at the word.

I've spent a lot of my life up until now dieting. But, for the first time in my life, I can now clearly see the difference between "trying to lose weight" (which I AM doing) and "dieting". I'm definitely modifying my eating habits with the intention of losing weight but I don't want to call this dieting.

I'm pretty sure that most people won't understand the difference between those things, but I bet some of my fellow MFP-ers will! Anyone else refusing to use the term "dieting"?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I'm not dieting so I don't use the word. I eat what I want - I just make better choices than I used to.
  • Kmart4910
    Options
    I totally agree with you. In fact, I get really mad about the word. My boyfriend said something the other day when we were out with friends, to the effect of, "oh, she's on a DIET". And the other friends rolled their eyes. I actually got really annoyed. I'm not dieting. I still eat things that I really really like. I just don't stuff my face with terrible things all day long and stay on the couch never thinking about my health.

I'm with you 100%.
  • AlyBelden
    Options
    I'm with ya - I've definitely adopted the "lifestyle change" thing. It's taken people a while to catch on. My mom used to call and ask if we were "allowed" to eat xyz if we were going to her house for dinner. She's finally caught on that I'm allowed to eat whatever I want, it's just a matter if I want to eat what she's cooking... lol. It's been 3 years for me now, and it seems that people will offer me something and if I say "no thanks" it's not a big deal - neither of us explains the "no" as being part of my "diet".
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    i hear you. i get mildly offended when people say that i'm on a diet. never have been, never will be.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There are so many recent forum topics about "dieting".. I didn't know I was supposed to be doing that too. (sarcasm)

I've been eating healthier and moving more. Yup.. went from watching tv to getting out and doing something fun. OH wait.. but i'm still losing weight.. WOW.. can my life get any better?!!

THANK YOU MFP and ALL MY FRIENDS!! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I suppose it is just semantics but I know what you mean. "Dieting" is usually used when talking about a change in diet for a finite period of time (certain number of days, until X number of lbs lost, etc.), whereas you see your diet changes as a permanent change that will result in weight loss and so much more.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't like "being on a diet" either. One thing I heard that's made a big difference for me is that a "diet" isn't about what you don't eat - it's what you DO eat. Which to me, makes a lot more sense, and means I am not "on a diet" because really, there's nothing I won't/can't eat.

For the sake of a simple explanation, if people ask me about what I'm eating, I'll say I'm dieting. It's more efficient than talking about a lifestyle change, and sometimes all people are going to hear is "diet" no matter what you say anyway. But in my head I'm thinking "lifestyle change." Because, y'know, I'm sneaky like that.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that most people won't understand the difference between those things, but I bet some of my fellow MFP-ers will! Anyone else refusing to use the term "dieting"?

OMG! Yes .... I HATE that word. Not only does it automatically give you the feeling of being a 'temporary' thing, but it's the most over used and improperly used word around. The definition of diet is merely what any living organism ingests to remain alive ... therefore EVERYONE is on a diet.

My friends learned very very quickly not to use that word around me unless they wanted a lesson on the definition LOL!
  • Musterion
    Musterion Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I will "weigh in" on this dieting word issue. I think a lot of people in the world are dieting right now (like die now & eat more later). I have certainly been one of those people on many occassions in the past. This time around, I am simply eating healthy. Eating all three meals (just smaller in volume and better in nutrition) and I get three snacks a day (who on a diet gets that?). It is working at the pace I expected it to - losing about 1.5 pounds a week. It will take many more weeks to hit my goal than if I were on a "diet" but then again I doubt I could stick to that much deprivation for a long enough period to hit my weight goal. (I also have always bounced back because I finished dying - so now I can "eat" again.) So when someone asks me what I am doing to lose weight - I just say am "eating healthier"!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have the same reaction! Hubby had some ice cream the other night and said "I'd offer you some but you're on a diet". I just rolled my eyes at him and said "not a diet". He knows better by now - we have pizza and wings every week for crying out loud - you can't do that when you're dieting!! But it's hard for even him to get away from that mindset after a year and a half of me trying to explain why the way I'm doing this works and will continue to work this time around. Oh well...you can't change anyone's mindset but your own. And he's really supportive so I can't complain. :)
  • Musterion
    Musterion Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that post Dragonflydi - I can really relate to you. You started at 265 5'8 1/2" - I started at 271 5'8" - both pretty much identical in size with over 100 pounds to lose. But you have already done that - and I am simply on my way. An inspiration to keep on keeping on - thanks for staying involved even after you hit your goal!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, I suppose it is just semantics but I know what you mean. "Dieting" is usually used when talking about a change in diet for a finite period of time (certain number of days, until X number of lbs lost, etc.), whereas you see your diet changes as a permanent change that will result in weight loss and so much more.
    Well said.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I hate the word duet, and the way people react when it's used.
    I inform people that I am on a 'health kick' to explain the sudden changes to the way I eat. I explain that i am trying to be more conscious about what I put into my body. If I choose to go into more detail I talk about providing my body with the right types of fuel it needs to function at it's best, and avoiding poisons in alcohol and processed foods.
    When my dad saw me light up and skip to the organic section of the supermarket he finally understood.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that post Dragonflydi - I can really relate to you. You started at 265 5'8 1/2" - I started at 271 5'8" - both pretty much identical in size with over 100 pounds to lose. But you have already done that - and I am simply on my way. An inspiration to keep on keeping on - thanks for staying involved even after you hit your goal!

You can do it! Slow, steady and consistent. It's not easy, but I have to say it gets "easier" as time moves on. While I once would be craving things like doughnuts, now the thought of them makes me gag. My body is not at all used to those types of foods anymore, and I'm thrilled! I also find that I 'need' to workout, which is also something I didn't realize I would ever experience. It's been the best change! Keep plugging along :)