To take a rest day or push thru the pain?

Jenlwb
Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
So I'm on day 3 of Ripped in 30, but I guess this could apply to any program. I was hoping to do 6 days straight and 1 off, then next level, but my body is letting me down! After days 1 and 2 I had some stiffness, especially my hamstrings, but I kept going and the program was actually a tiny bit easier this time. However now i have day 3 under my belt, my left calf is quite painful, and the muscle over the front of my right shin (which i never knew existed!) hurts too, in addition to shoulders and various other niggles. The funny this is I actually have mild early onset osteo-arthritis in my hips, and they are fine!

Anyway my question is do you push on through, or give yourself a break and maybe take a break twice a week instead of once? I'm finding this program quite an addicting challenge, and it burns so many calories. But I don't want to be laid up with an injury.

What do you all do?

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Do a rest day or a very light day working other areas.

Don't overdo!

Take Care!
  • rest and recover
  • If it's just muscle soreness, I always push though, besides, that's how you get results. BUT, if it is joint/bone pain, always rest or even see your doctor if it's that severe. Good luck!!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    didn't read this, but my answer to the topic questions is

push through the pain.
    ;)
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    What rfcollins33 said. If it's injury, rest and recover (and maybe get checked out, just to be safe.) If it's muscle soreness, I personally keep going. I'm doing the 30 Day shred right now and I'm not NEARLY as sore as when I started out.
  • dvusk
    dvusk Posts: 21
    If it's serious muscle pain, take a rest. That's your body telling you to stop. If it's just post-workout soreness, just push through.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    You need a rest day. Always, always listen to your body. You don't want to tear a calf muscle. You haven't had pain until you tear a muscle :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    It sounds like you need to stretch more
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    i dont have rest days but every1 is different, r u doing a good cooldown, mayb add more stretches, i am doing 30 day shred and i do a few extra stretches on top of the cool down just 2 make sure i am not in agony the nxt day. i got my extra stretches here.
    http://www.netfit.co.uk/fitness/stretching/index.htm
    good luck.x
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    I am dealing with same issue only instead its shin splints with the couch to 5k program- i want to get out there as i have barely just begun and am loving it! ..But i googled the issue and every site says i need to take a break from it til it doesnt hurt. :( But that is not to say we cant work other areas out- and just be careful to let our sore areas rest. That is the route I have chosen- if it sounds right for you then do that!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    i would take a rest day in which i allowed my massage therapist to 'talk' with said muscles to inform them that it realy is okay to let loose and relax again. but if you dont have one of those alternating heat and ice therapies would be the next thing to get them to relax, if you dont let them rest you risk damaging them.
  • kikislove2
    kikislove2 Posts: 71 Member
    If it has gone past soreness to pain, then recover. it's always good to do a recovery day after about 3 days anyway to reduce the chance of injury, which you will be on your way towards if you don't let that leg heal.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Thanks everyone, it's def more pain that stiffness, trouble walking so sounds like I'm due a day off! Actually you are right about stretching more, that's one thing Jillian doesn't really do on this one, so I always do some of my own- guess I need to do more!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I would take a active rest day (if that makes sense) - go for a walk or something light like that to help loosen up the tension in the muscles then stretch really well afterwards. It's not good to stretch before waming up, especially if your muscles are already tense. Maybe take a hot bath too.

When I did a lot of lunges for her No More Trouble Zones workout, I had some calf pain too. Found out that I was putting too much of my weight on the back leg instead of the front leg where it should be so maybe try that next time.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    My Sundays are my "rest" day...but active rest. I still walk 5-7 miles on Sunday to keep the calories burned.
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    I am doing the 30 day shred. I had a bad calf pain. I could tell it was different than just sore muscles. I took a day off and it was fine after that. I say better to be safe than sorry :)
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    There is discomfort and then there is pain. If you are experiencing paid, stop and rest a few days until you feel better then start back up. If you are feeling discomfort, then push through. You don't want to injure yourself, but you also don't want to give up when it gets a little uncomfortable. Listen to your body and make the your decision based on what you think your body is telling you.

On a side note, I did the 30 day, shred pushed through the pain in my lower back and ended up pulling it completely because I didn't listen to my body. No pain no gain is BS! Listen to your body!

Good luck!
  • tlrunyon
    tlrunyon Posts: 127
    Listen to your body. Personally, if it is very painful, I'd rest and ice!! :) Take care of yourself, you don't want it to get so bad you can't work out at all.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    It sucks around the 3rd day lol Just do it i found it made me feel better the next day. Plus once you get moving the pain goes away about 90%.
  • Dig Deeper!!!!