How accurate are mfp's exercise numbers?

Options
I would like to know if anyone uses the mfp database for calculating calories burned, eats those calories back and actually loses weight? I really don't want to hear anything about hrm's i just want to know the answer to the question above please and thanks in advance =)

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    From what I have found, they are really high on exercise cals...I don't trust them at all.
  • AmyJo54915
    AmyJo54915 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm hoping mfp is pretty accurate, cause that's what I go by. I don't know about eating calories back, as I never do.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I found them high too after I started using a HRM.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    that's what i figured that they were too high i just wanted to be sure before i ate them all back and gained weight for overeating you know
  • kris22011
    Options
    I create my own exercises evn if they are already on there just so I can put in my own numbers
  • jenn2me
    jenn2me Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use them and have still lost weight, but I have only been at this for a short while :)
  • cnewyou
    cnewyou Posts: 40
    Options
    I, too have found them high after starting to use that thing you didn't want to talk about.:smooched:
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just eat about half of them back.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Too high, on most exercise numbers, I dont trust that.
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    Generally I find them a little high, BUT it is just an estimate and depends on your body weight and a host of other factors. Even HRMs are not as accurate as we think. Alot of times, I just search the internet for "calories burned running" or whatever I was doing, and average the different findings I see.
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    They're high
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I, too have found them high after starting to use that thing you didn't want to talk about.:smooched:

I wanted to mention that too, because I check it with that.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I use MFP calorie and always eat them back and am still loosing weight. Then again, the majority of my excercise is dog walking, which I put down, but my dad tell me that means for when you take a stroll and you stop start and throw thing, wherea my 25 minute walk just now was half jogging and half walking, we only stopped twice and I know from my GPS I walk at 3.5mph nrmally, when I have my dog with me it' more like 4 and the dog walking on here is only 3.0 so it doesn't really matter if it's over etimating the calories burnt becaue it' alo underestimating what I'm doing.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Sometimes high, sometimes low.

I trust in my HRM...more accurate than a machine or mfp database. Investing in one was a great way to eat some of those exercise cals without being worried :drinker:
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I lost weight using MFP's numbers but I was not eating back those calories. I now have a heart rate monitor that I wear when I work out and MFP's calories are high. If you use them only eat back part of them.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    thank u for those who answered my question...
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    lol, for me it's low compared to my HRM, unless it's cleaning or something (seriously, 2 hours of cleaning, 900 calories?! doubtful)
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if anyone uses the mfp database for calculating calories burned, eats those calories back and actually loses weight? I really don't want to hear anything about hrm's i just want to know the answer to the question above please and thanks in advance =)

Yes. Simple answer.

You have to be "real" and look for the occasional one that's out of whack, but for most exercises I've seen... it's right on.

I've lost nearly 23 pounds so far.. .and it's working for me.
  • Rockindreamer
    Options
    LOL why the opposition to response about HRM's? The reason most have turned to an HRM is because the calorie counts in the database here are not accurate at all and give misleading information that causes overeating.

The calories they list are not correct. usually much higher than actual calories burned.
  • myanko
    myanko Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been using a HRM (garmin forerunner) and the calories are pretty close for walking, jogging and cycling...most of the time they are within 20-30 calories for those exercises. For me, most days I try not to eat back my calories burned, but rather keep it at 1200 for the day. Since May I have lost 20 lbs. Good Luck!