Running Gear...

Options
Hey Runners,

Question... what kind of sunglasses do you wear (if you do)? I am looking to purchase a new pair of sunglasses for running but don't want to spend too much money as well as don't want a really cheap pair that will shatter if they slip off my face.

Also, have any good suggestions on headphones? I can't seem to find ones that stay in my ear while running. Maybe its the sweat but if anyone has a pair they love and wouldn't mind sharing what kind they are, thanks!

Hope all are well.

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I wear Ryder's while running. They hold up pretty well and don't slide around too much. Vented sides to prevent steaming. Think I paid about $40 for mine.

Headphones... I have a set of Panasonic Ear Bud style ttat hook around the ear. Decent bass and not overly expensive. Think I paid about 15 at Walmart.
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love my skullcandy earphones.
  • Dezlyn67
    Dezlyn67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wear polarized Oakley Half Jackets. The rubber really grips, so they do not bounce up and down on my face.

As for headphones, I use Frogz.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I don't wear sunglasses...they just seem to slide off my face and I tend to run in the early morning or at night...so they aren't needed anyway.

Earbuds do that to me as well. I have a pair of wrap around headphones that work well. Check out some running supply websites, they'll offer a great selection that are actually made so they don't slip out.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I wear a cheap pair of shades I got at Wal-Mart and an equally cheap set of Philips headphones that wrap around the ear.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    SkullCandy makes great earbuds that stay in your ear. They sound amazing and aren't too expensive. The problem with them is that then tend to stop working properly after a few months of use. Usually one side will stop working, or something like that.

I wear Oakley's with prescription lenses. They are awesome. But they in no way fit your criteria for inexpensive! :o) Good luck.
  • complejo
    complejo Posts: 36
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Neckband-Headphones-SHS5200-28/dp/B003CJTR8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312677122&sr=8-1

those are the headphones I use and they are cheap and GREAT! They wrap around and never come off (i use then to lift weights, walk, elliptical, and treadmill) the part on the back that wraps around is reflective which is a neat feature, and the best feature is the fact the cord is nylon wound meaning if it snags or anything like that it has a much less likelihood to mess up the ear phones or pull the cord and damage them. I've had the same pair for about 2 years now without an issue though I might order another pair since these are getting pretty old.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Oakley Thumps.... great glasses with built-in MP3 player. Ear phones are attached to the sunglass arms and never fall out.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I just bought Ryders for mountain biking, but they will become my go-to for running too. The lenses change color based on the sun light.

I have great headphones, but can't find them right now to tell you what they are. Grrr I got them at Target and they come with different size earbuds to customize the fit...
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I wear Ryders with interchangeable lenses that I use for both cycling and running. Got them on Bonktown.com for about $20.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I got a real expensive pair of Oakley's. One day I was with my daughter at an outlet mall and we stopped in some sunglass place. I got a pair of polarized sport sunglasses with rubberized ear and nose pieces. I think they were $20 or less. They are every bit as good as the Oakley's. They are actually darker. I wear them ALL the time!! The most important thing is to get the ones that are meant for sports and have the rubberized ear and nose pieces. They don't slip like others and you can even put them on the brim of your hat or visor and they won't fall off, even if you are running!!

I have a $15 pair of over the ear headphones that I got from Wallmart. I like the ones that hook over your ear because you can hear what's going on around you better than with the ear buds. To tell you the truth, I generally only wear one and slip the other one down my sports bra. That way I can hear what's going on around me. I am a trail runner and you need to be able to hear any runners behind you so you can move over on the trail if someone needs to pass you.

Hope that helps! :bigsmile: