Running at the Gym? Running period?

Options
Hello all. (:

I've been wondering if anyone else has had the problem of running at a gym, or anywhere for that matter? I want to, but my body just feels so tired after like 1.5 minutes. I'm not sure if maybe it's where I'm not used to it, maybe I'm not wearing the right shoes, I'm embarrassed, or what? Is it true that if your not running on a treadmill that you won't lose weight? Any advice would be great.

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I despise running on TM and will only do so if I'm traveling and there are no other options but the hotel gym. I personally find running on a TM more difficult. That said I also run outside in the early AM - not because of fear of people seeing me, but that's the only time I can get it done.

You're the only one who is critiquing how you look while running - no one else really cares. So just do it! :)

Have you tried any sort of running program to build up for running? Like C25K? It's easy to get discouraged if you're not training properly.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Running, anywhere, is a great workout and will help you lose weight (treadmill or not).

I started running in May and it was the hardest thing ever. Now I am up to two miles at a time and am much stronger. As easy as running seems, it isnt. Take it easy and slow.

Try the Couch to 5k program as that eases you into running for longer periods of time. If you are feeling pain in your feet, definitely get new shoes (if not fitted for a pair at a running store). Remember to hydrate before, during, and after.

Even after months, there are hard days for me to run, but keep at it.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hello all. (:

Is it true that if your not running on a treadmill that you won't loose weight? Any advice would be great.

Do you mean that you think/have heard that if you run outside instead of on a treadmill you won't lose weight? That's ridiculous. WHERE you run has nothing to do with calorie burn, which is what helps you lose weight.

And it's LOSE weight, not LOOSE.
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can definately lose weight running on a treadmill. It really works for me. I usual run/jog for 15/20mins.

You probably just need to improve your stamina before trying to run for longer periods. Maybe you should try interval training i.e. run for one minute and then walk for two minutes etc.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You may be running too fast. I made that mistake at first. Secondly, the first few minutes are always tough, you just have to get through them and get into your stride.
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    When i first started running i used to get tired and aching legs but you just have to push thru the aches and keep going, as for the losing weight running on a tread mill, im not sure, i do know it is a lot harder to run outside so probably is more beneficial, ive always ran outside and have lost nearly 3 stone in 5 months and it is my main form of exercise. Try C25K to get you started, i used that and can now run 10k easily, 3 / 4 times a week, sorry im not much help xxx
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i hate running on the treadmill and i used to hate running in general... could barely run a lap around the track... sunday i'm starting my last week of c25k and now i'm motivated to keep going farther and farther... it isn't easy, but it is easiER!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I have days where I can run for 10 min no problem, and others I feel like you. It helps me to have music, and not be intimidated by others around me. While home for breaks, I feel less intimidated at the gym since it's mainly adults. At school, however, I always feel so weird being completely around students. Just focus on you and your goal! :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You probably just need to improve your stamina before trying to run for longer periods. Maybe you should try interval training i.e. run for one minute and then walk for two minutes etc.
    I second this. Run for 30 seconds and walk for 90. Then up that to running for 60 seconds and walking for 2 minutes. Then 60 seconds running and 90 seconds walking. Keep increasing your running time and playing with your walking time until you've recovered enough to run some more.

The Couch to 5K program is a good start. I've chosen to keep running in intervals, however. I don't feel the need to be able to actually run a whole 5K. I'll never do one in under a half hour, most likely, but it's not about how fast I do it, it's just about doing it.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    You an lose weight WALKING if you are eating right too. Don't know where you heard the "treadmill is a must to lose weight", but, disregard it.

Now...running. If you're winded so quickly, slow down. Try a training program that you can do ANYWHERE like Couch To 5K or C25K as you'll see several refer to it.

It is a 9 week program that conditions you to be able to run. Very easy to follow. Have a smart phone or ipod? There are aps that will use your music and cue you when it's time to walk or run.

I have a dumb phone....here is a link to the mp3 files I used to start running. Pretty decent music. The trainer cues you when to walk or run. You do each "week" 3 times, then move on to the next week. You're training 3 times a week for 30 minutes each day. http://www.mediafire.com/?539e7bpymd4kt

Here is a link to C25K itself. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml
  • imperfection_is_beauty
    Options
    Hello all. (:

Is it true that if your not running on a treadmill that you won't loose weight? Any advice would be great.

Do you mean that you think/have heard that if you run outside instead of on a treadmill you won't lose weight? That's ridiculous. WHERE you run has nothing to do with calorie burn, which is what helps you lose weight.

And it's LOSE weight, not LOOSE.

Sorry, typo.

No, I was told that you have to RUN on a treadmill, that walking on a treadmill would not lead to you losing weight.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

No, I was told that you have to RUN on a treadmill, that walking on a treadmill would not lead to you losing weight.

Aha. Doesn't matter. What matters is the amount of calories you burn. If you walk on the TM for an hour and burn 250 calories, you'll be in the same weight-loss boat as if you ran on the TM for 20 min and burned 250 calories.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The only running I do is one a week on a treadmill at my gym. I do 3 mile speed intervals. I start at 7.0 for 2 minutes, when I hit 2 min. I go for 30 seconds at 9.0 I do this until minute 20, I then walk at 2.0 until hr is 120 and then I run at 10 for as long as I can back to 2,0 until hr is 120 and then do it again. I finish the 3 miles with a light run around 6.0\

It's a great workout, the speed changing helps the time pass and I sweat my butt off.

I avg in the 140's hr and burn close to 600 cals
  • ChrissiJ98
    Options
    I always used to hate running (like, a lot) and I now realize why. I've trained for a couple of long-distance races and no matter how good of shape I'm in through the whole training, the first 20 minutes of every run always kind of sucks for me (legs burning, breathing kind of hard, etc.). However, after that, my body warms up and I relax and it becomes enjoyable and fun. I actually really like running now, whereas before I just assumed I wasn't built for it and wouldn't do it. Different people have different amounts of time that it takes for them to warm up. I always start with 5 minutes of walking before I start running to try and help the warming up along.

Some hints-
    1) Try to stay relaxed. If you are hunched over and can barely breath, it's never going to be fun.
    2) Slow down a little. You should be able to talk, but not sing. If you can sing, you're not pushing hard enough. If you can't even talk, you're pushing too hard.
    3) I do a combination of running and walking (Run 4 minutes, walk 2 minutes), and I also do my races that way. Some people seem to think that's not "real" running, but I like it and I still get a great workout. There's a book by Jeff Galloway regarding that method if you're interested.

Just try and keep it up! Good luck!!
  • duribe78
    Options
    Don't get hung up on all those fears...I started running 6 years ago and couldn't even run for 10 seconds without wanting to die. I stuck with it..on the treadmill...and ended up losing 60 pounds and to date have worked my way up to running 5 half marathons. It wasn't easy and once I got over the mental part of running it all fell into place. The aches and pains go away and soon you will find your self getting stronger, faster, and running further than you ever imagined. My advice it to sign up for a local 5k at least three months in advance and go for it. If you sign up for a race you know you have a reall goal to go for. Treadmill running isn't bad but it isn't as good as the road so when you have time, and get the courage...lace up and go outside.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Running is one of the best ways to lose weight when done as part of a healthy lifestyle. It provides an enormous calorie burn unmatched by most other forms of exercise. That being said, you need to approach it in moderation and balance it with other forms of exercise like strength training.

I would recommend C25K or a coached Learn To Run Clinic to get you started. The object with running is to build up to it and run like you will need to do it again. One concept is called the Conversation test... run for 10 minutes at a pace where you can still maintain a conversation. If you can't, you are running too quickly.

Good Luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Disregard that myth. There are quite a few people here who can use their success to debunk that lie. You can easily lose weight by walking on a treadmill, or anywhere else, if you're eating less calories than you burn each day.
  • Elanesse100
    Elanesse100 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

That's not true. It just takes longer. You still burn calories walking, just not as much as running. Refer to the article below for more info.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I burn more running per hour than anything else, except perhaps rowing - which uses more muscles, but then I can't row flat out for an hour. I crash after 30 mins, whereas I can keep running for an hour or more.
  • llaurall
    llaurall Posts: 32
    Options
    Of course you can lose weight on a treadmill! Running anywhere on anything will help you to burn calories.
    I used to do HIIT on the treadmill. Now I go outside and run. Right now I can manage approx. 5 miles.
    The difference between the treadmill and the outdoors is that the treadmill provides momentum for you with the conveyor belt. Outdoors you have bumps, cracks, uneven surface, hills, greater friction but more importantly you don't have that conveyor belt helping your legs to move. Hence running outside destabilises you and makes your muscles work a little harder. But by no means does that mean you can't lose weight on a treadmill.

If you are new to running/gym then your first time will most likely be unpleasant because your body is unconditioned. You will be introduced to the feelings of breathlessness and aching in your legs, hence you will be out of your comfort zone. But you need to be out of your comfort zone whilst exercising to have an effective workout.

First of all, get a good pair of running shoes. Ask a sports shop assistant for advice and he/she will guide you. Then I would suggest finding a trainer, family relative or friend that is generally fit and willing to motivate you either by providing personal training at the gym or becoming your running partner. My father was the one to convert me from treadmill to street pavement by running with me in the mornings and pushing me to tread more difficult paths and hills. His presence definitely pushed me to go further as he in no way tolerated walking or breaks!

Remember, your body is able to tolerate worlds more than you think is possible. The urge to give up is 99.9% psychological and absolutely nothing to do with your body's capabilities.