Whole Grain Pancakes

Options
I just made these this morning and they were GREAT! The kids, even my picky as all hell 2 year old, loved them.

1 c all purpose flour
1/2 c wheat flour
2 heaping Tbsp old fashioned oats
2 heaping tbsp flax seed
2 heaping tbsp cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
sprinkle of nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 1/4 c skim milk
1/2 c plain nonfat yogurt
2 tbsp butter, melted, plus 1 tsp for griddle
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine milk and yogurt in a large measuring cup, or medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Combine egg and vanilla in milk mixture, and pour over dry ingredients. Stir gently, just to combine, then cut in the 2 tbsp of melted butter. Heat a griddle or cast iron pan over med, med-low heat. Melt 1 tsp butter, and pour batter on. Cook about 2 minutes per side. As they finish, put them on a cookie sheet and keep in oven set to a low temp (175-200) to keep warm. Serve with real maple syrup.
Yield, 14 pancakes
Per pancake: 105 calories, 3.3 g fat, 1.4 g sat fat, .9 g monosat., 35.4 mg cholesterol, 167.2 mg sodium,

Replies

• amycakes812
    Options
    I just made these this morning and they were GREAT! The kids, even my picky as all hell 2 year old, loved them.

1 c all purpose flour
    1/2 c wheat flour
    2 heaping Tbsp old fashioned oats
    2 heaping tbsp flax seed
    2 heaping tbsp cornmeal
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    sprinkle of nutmeg
    2 large eggs
    1 1/4 c skim milk
    1/2 c plain nonfat yogurt
    2 tbsp butter, melted, plus 1 tsp for griddle
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine milk and yogurt in a large measuring cup, or medium bowl and set aside.
    In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Combine egg and vanilla in milk mixture, and pour over dry ingredients. Stir gently, just to combine, then cut in the 2 tbsp of melted butter. Heat a griddle or cast iron pan over med, med-low heat. Melt 1 tsp butter, and pour batter on. Cook about 2 minutes per side. As they finish, put them on a cookie sheet and keep in oven set to a low temp (175-200) to keep warm. Serve with real maple syrup.
    Yield, 14 pancakes
    Per pancake: 105 calories, 3.3 g fat, 1.4 g sat fat, .9 g monosat., 35.4 mg cholesterol, 167.2 mg sodium,
  • amycakes812
    Options
    I hate when I do that! I hit post accidentally.:ohwell: Anyway, I have these in the food database under "AK's Homemade whole grain pancakes"
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I see you have cinnamon in it. Is there a cinnamon taste to them? I've been looking for a cinnamon pancake.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • amycakes812
    Options
    It is just a little cinnamon to add flavor to the pancake. You could up it to 1 tsp to get a stronger cinnaom flavor if that is what you are looking for. Now that you mention it, I will probably do that next time also!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks... Now what type of cinnamon? The liquid or dry?

-Adrienne:heart:
  • amycakes812
    Options
    just regular ground cinnamon :smile:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Have you tried freezing them and heating them in the toaster. I could cut the recipe in half but that would still make alot for one person.
    Kelly
  • amycakes812
    Options
    This is the first time I made these. I would imagine they would be fine like that. I do it that way when I make waffles or other pancakes and have never had any issues reheating. I would just suggest keeping the toaster on low so they don't crisp up and brown too much when you reheat them.