Medication, Weight Loss, and Metabolism

greeneyedgirl829
greeneyedgirl829 Posts: 335
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
My friend and I were having a discussion the other day about medications (specifically anti-depressants) and weight gain. She is taking Lexapro (an SSRI) and has gained weight from it. I've looked online about the reason why, and I can't quite understand it. Do most people gain weight on an anti-depressant because they eat more? Because they eat more carbs? Or is it because it messes with your metabolism? Can it be controlled if you eat no differently before you began taking the medication and continue to excercise? I'm confused lol

Thanks!

Replies

• My friend and I were having a discussion the other day about medications (specifically anti-depressants) and weight gain. She is taking Lexapro (an SSRI) and has gained weight from it. I've looked online about the reason why, and I can't quite understand it. Do most people gain weight on an anti-depressant because they eat more? Because they eat more carbs? Or is it because it messes with your metabolism? Can it be controlled if you eat no differently before you began taking the medication and continue to excercise? I'm confused lol

Thanks!
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    I have been on an antidepressant for years. Now this is just me but I found it slowed down my metabolism or should I add slowed me down. Still taking Zoloft but with exercise the weight is starting to come off and I feel like I have more energy. Its possible to get it going again, just start moving.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Antidepressants affect serotonin and serotonin helps regulate hunger. I've taken anti-depressants that helped me lose weight, and others that made me gain. Now I refuse to take any. One, I don't want to fight weight gain, and two, I don't want to depend on a drug to make me thin.

This is not to say that no one should take them. I'm just making the point that I've had both experiences -- they can affect the appetite in either direction. If you don't like the side effects of the one you're on, you can always discuss trying a different one with your doctor.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    I had a friend who gained weight on her antidepressants. I used to be on them and found that I gained a little weight. I am trying to get by without them also; It made me feel weird in the head on paxil, I was allergic to Zoloft, Sarafem seemed to work but I stopped taking that for some reason I now can't remember ($ i think) the last one I took (can't remember the name... quit working after a month and I didn't have the money to go to the Dr. at that time to get another.

I'm don't want to try anymore because of the potential weight gain and $
  • rlh0614
    rlh0614 Posts: 73 Member
    Yes... I have had serveral friends who went on zoloft and gained weight. You have to be very careful on what works with your body.
  • I took Lexapro about 5 years ago and within one year I had gained FIFTY (50) pounds! I was hungry all the time, so I ate a lot. I switched doctors and found one that put me on a medication that worked better and was weight neutral. Now I am able to lose weight by using tools like MFP and so forth. I have lost 25 pounds of the Lexapro weight so far. While I was on the Lexapro, I couldn't lose weight for anything...no amount of trying or exercising did a bit of good.....and many times I was just too tired to exercise. I do NOT like that medication!!

Andrea
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    sorry to be off topic. just want to tell rlh0614 that I like your pic in front of Miami Ink. My daughter had hers taken there to!
    Kelly
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    WOW. So I have been taking Lexapro for 3 years, and I will be honest. I love that stuff. Tried to go off a year and a half a go when I was trying to get PG. Lets just say this, it wasn't pretty.
    Now, I have been overweight in that time, but I was overweight before. Losing weight is difficult, and I can't say it's any harder while taking the wonder drug. lol:heart:
This discussion has been closed.