Low Carb Diet Question

Options
For those of you on a low carb diet or have been on one, did you or are you experiencing bouts of nausea? As of last week, I cut my carbs to 100 grams/day and I've had moments of nausea. That's the only difference in my eating so I figured it might be related to that. Hopefully, it's my body's way of adjusting to the carb drop. Increasing my carbs isn't an option but curious how others have handled this problem if they experienced it.

Replies

• singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low-carb for 6 months (<100 g/day) and have not experienced any adverse effects, just consistant weight loss.
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    I have had the nausea when I go too long without eating. My problem has been being dizzy and weak. I know that it is going to take time to adjust but how much time are we talking here. Um also worried about the headaches that I have heard so much about.

I am doing the South Beach and 17 Day Diet together. I keep carbs under 100 also (NET Carbs).

My face also itches! Is that just me being weird? .
  • change_happens
    Options
    interested
  • trejon
    Options
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I try to stay below 70g of carbs per day and have not had any bad effects. It is the only thing that works for me to lose weight, however. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and have more energy than for as long as I can remember.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I had to change to low carb overnight, and didn't have any nausea. Have no idea. :ohwell: Good luck - hope you get to feeling better soon.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I generally aim to stay at about 50g. I haven't experienced this.

Apparently many people get the 'low-carb' flu in the first few weeks (can last up to 3-4 weeks for people who had poor eating habits). It's sort of like withdrawal they say. Could be related to that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at around 100g Carbs a day, too. No nausea. Are you female? Could you be pregnant?
  • trejon
    Options
    No Meth here I would like to keep my teeth lol! However all the meth users that I have seen are SOOOOOOO skinny!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I spent several months eating 20-25 grams of carbs and no nausea. I might watch what you're eating within a few hours of feeling bad. Should be easy since you're already tracking. See if there's any pattern to what you're eating before the nausea starts. Or not eating, as the case may be. It just be that you need to eat smaller meals more often.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    on a low carb diet you body will(may depending on how low for how long ) go into Ketosis - a state were it is burning fat stores to replace the sugars it needs. some people do experience nausea and GI symptoms for a time going into and coming out of that state.

I'm on a medically supervised Very low calorie diet and I was nauseous and ill feeling for a few days when I started. I was told this was common going in and coming out of this state.
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've done the low carb diet before. You'll want to eat more often through out the day, save the "sweet" things for when you know the weakness or nausea will be hitting you. Also, be sure to drink alot of water while you're doing this.

If your face itches you could be allergic to cheap dairy. My face itches when I eat cheap cheese. That's it. :-)
  • trejon
    Options
    The cheese might be right but mine is not the cheap kind. Might be more expensive that I normally buy cheese is the problem. However this is a good thought. I also started taking probiotics and that could also be the cause. Who the heck knows? Thanks for all the information thus far.