How do you keep your carbs so low?

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
I seem to have trouble keeping mine below 90 or so and that's when I'm getting them mostly from veggies and limited fruits. Just curious (and praying I'm not opening a can of worms here :blushing: )...

Replies

• murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    no man made carbs, pasta, breads anything that is man made and come in a pretty box or can

I aim for around 125
  • JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    veggies can have a lot of carbs. Some, like peas and carrots, are high in natural sugars so they are higher in carbs. I use specialty low carb products. If it is bread--in general it is out (unless it is a specialty product). Keep to the outer isles in the grocery stores.If it is prepackaged, it is usually higher in carbs.
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. This is my personal opinion. I'm sure someone will feel the need to bash me for this, but the only numbers I worry about are calories. I have days where I'm way over on protien and/or way over on carbs. I can never get my numbers to add up right. I eat balanced and well thought about meals that help me stay full and keep me from crashing/caving/giving up. That's what works for me :bigsmile:
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 100 gm/day, which I find really easy to do. No grains, nothing out of a box, nothing processed...my carbs come from the dairy, fruit, and veggies that I eat. And an occasional piece of chocolate! ;)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you want to do the carb thing, try to live by the rule, "If its starts out white it probably isn’t right.” (flour, sugar, potatoes, pasta, etc) Broccoli is a good carb, but not white. See the diff?
  • mckant
    Options
    I don't worry about it. This is my personal opinion. I'm sure someone will feel the need to bash me for this, but the only numbers I worry about are calories. I have days where I'm way over on protien and/or way over on carbs. I can never get my numbers to add up right. I eat balanced and well thought about meals that help me stay full and keep me from crashing/caving/giving up. That's what works for me :bigsmile:

For me personally watching my carbs helps me to keep a flatter tummy. I've noticed that when I watch them I tend to be eating healthier, anyway, so that's good for me. I totally agree with your philosophy of eating balanced and making sure you're staying full so you don't crash or binge.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If your carbs are mostly vegetables and fruit, then you're probably eating too much fruit. It's high in sugar and carbs. Try to eat more vegetables, especially leafy and colourful vegetables (i.e., sweet potato rather than potato).

If your carbs are also coming from bread, cereal, bars, etc., then replace these food choices with vegetables, lean meat/poultry/fish, and nuts. There are no nutrients in any grain product that you can't get from vegetables, meat/poultry/fish, nuts, fruit, etc., and you also don't get the calories from the stuff they add to grains to make it edible (i.e., sweeteners).

Last thing: are you drinking soda? Big carb source and empty of nutrients, so you get zero return benefit from drinking this.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options

Feel the exact same way!!!
  • mckant
    Options
    If your carbs are mostly vegetables and fruit, then you're probably eating too much fruit. It's high in sugar and carbs. Try to eat more vegetables, especially leafy and colourful vegetables (i.e., sweet potato rather than potato).

If your carbs are also coming from bread, cereal, bars, etc., then replace these food choices with vegetables, lean meat/poultry/fish, and nuts. There are no nutrients in any grain product that you can't get from vegetables, meat/poultry/fish, nuts, fruit, etc., and you also don't get the calories from the stuff they add to grains to make it edible (i.e., sweeteners).

Last thing: are you drinking soda? Big carb source and empty of nutrients, so you get zero return benefit from drinking this.

This is helpful. Thanks. I have to proudly say that I do not drink soda :happy: I gave it up almost two years ago. I never thought I could do it. I used to drink just diet soda and coffee so I am extremely proud of that accomplishment!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'll just repeat what others have said.
    - Stick to low-carb vegetables
    - Lower your fruit intake
    - Kick the grains and potatoes
    - Use full-fat dairy
    - Moderate your nut intake.

I aim for ~50g per day.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I seem to have trouble keeping mine below 90 or so and that's when I'm getting them mostly from veggies and limited fruits. Just curious (and praying I'm not opening a can of worms here :blushing: )...

I would make fresh cuts of meat and non-starchy fibrous veggies the foundation of your daily eating plan. Everything after that would be partially dependent on how active you are or what your training routine is like.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    no man made carbs, pasta, breads anything that is man made and come in a pretty box or can

I aim for around 125

Nothing made from flour. Veggies, rice, legumes are good sources of carbs.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The only carbs I get are the .4 per egg and in the cream for my coffee and sweet potatoes. I eat 1-2 sweet potatoes a day it seems. Other than that, I eat meat......lost and lots and lots of meat....and lots and lots and lots of added fat.