Protein Shake Help

Options
I just read an article about protein shakes (and some other stuff about the guy that played Thor) in Mens Health and have come to the conclusion that I should start drinking protein shakes. However, I have a question. Im having surgery on the 25th and I wont be able to exercise for 4 months. Will drinking protein shakes without exercise be counter-productive --- will I gain weight?

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My hubby drank them without exercise and yes, he gained weight.
    It may be different for you depending on your caloric intake + the protein shakes.
    I wish you well on your surgery and a healthy recovery! :flowerforyou:

Keep logging in and see you back soon!
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I drink 'diet' protien shakes as part of my weight loss. However I usually use it as a meal replacement. As for the gain because of lack of mobility just like anything else it is calories. Track it!
  • lupuslady
    Options
    If you count it as one of your meals, you should do well but as with anything else, you must count the calories..
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Calories are Calories. I would say to check the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Calculator under tools and find out what your BMR is.

Your BMR is how many calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day — basically, how many calories you burn just to stay alive. Determine your BMR using our handy online calculator

Just make sure while you are inactive you stay under that many calories.