Chocolate soy/almond/coconut mylk, etc?

Options
veganbaum
veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
So, there are some posts about how chocolate milk is good for after a workout because of the certain ratio of this to that or whatever that helps your body recover. I didn't see anything about plant mylk - anyone know if it would serve the same purpose? I'm looking for a good snack after a workout. Also - how much protein and carbs are good for after a workout? Thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk (not the stuff in the dairy section, mind you, but the stuff on the asian aisles like Thai Kitchen & Native Forest) are delicious! Loaded with healthy fat and lauric acid. I'd drink it any time.
    Almond is my second choice.
    In my mind, soy causes cancer. Avoid like the plague.
    Rice milk just isn't even worth the money. Watered down blech-ness.

If you can handle dairy, go for raw milk (if you can find it) or Greek yogurt.
    If you're hard set on having something from a fridge, try carb countdown or over the moon. Both tasty.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I suppose it would depend on the carb/protein content of whatever milk you're using. If I remember right you're going for a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't consume dairy, hence my question about alternatives. And I don't believe soy causes cancer (total fear mongering), however I generally consume more whole forms of organic soy - ie tempeh, miso (like cultures in which it is regularly consumed) - and almost never soy milk or soy isolates.

Thanks for the ratio, I'll have to look into it.

No one else has any idea? Chocolate hemp, coconut, almond, hazelnut - any ideas if any of those are comparable?