outdoor running vs treadmill?

Options
I gave up my treadmill running when I let my gym membership lapse. I have since been walking and running outdoors. A

Is there any benefit to buying a home treadmill?

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running is easier on your body and will make your shoes last longer as well. But saying that, I run outdoors because I love the scenery and really feeling like I'm going somewhere, not just exercising.
  • jenfitz34
    Options
    If you are going to invest in equiptment may I Suggest getting a few different aerobics videos, and some free weights? Its always a great idea to keep your workout fresh and interesting. That way you don't get bored and also have something else to do on days when the weather isn't so nice.
    Running on a treadmill is easier than running on the street and if you already have that down, there isn't really a need to have a treadmill.
    Keep up the good work.
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love running and walking outdoors best for the same as above. I get bored on the treadmill. I do like the treadmill for extreme weather (heat, snow, ice, freezing temps). If you can afford it and will use it and have space, it may be a good investment. I trained for most of a marathon on the treadmill.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I like to weave and change my pace a lot. Treadmills are too narrow/steady for me. I much prefer a track or a scenic run. I would never use a treadmill if one magically appeared in my house. In fact, I'd never use any cardio machine that appeared in my house. It's just not for me.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Treadmills will keep you going when weather is too rough to run outside, but they are no substitution for the open road :-)
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    A treadmill is easier but it also has it benefits as well. I find mine great in the winter or if I sleep too late and its too hot outside to get a run in. You can always add incline to your run and also on a treadmill you are forced to keep your pace. I think a combination of both is good.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I find treadmill running to be very boring. I much prefer the outdoors. Luckily for me we have wonderful greenbelt trails, so it's shaded and scenic. Especially love the early morning and seeing the rabbits and occasional deer.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill great for tempo runs and for splits because you've got the time right in front of you, but equally, I also find it's harder on my legs. Last time I had to use one consistently for a couple of weeks, I ended up with a stress fracture. Think that's because my form is different to when I'm outside, but definitely something I consider when choosing where to run.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The benefit of a home treadmill vs running outside?

1 constant speed and incline. Set up and the treadmill will hold you tonthe same speed for the duration. Treadmills don't have dog days

2. Immune to rain, sleet, wind, snow. Indoors means no excuses.

3. Free access to cold water and bathroom breaks.

4. Never too hot, cold, dark or bright

5. Ready to go 24/7. No waiting, no lines even can watch tv or DVD while you exercise

6. If not used, makes a great clothes rack
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    A treadmill is easier but it also has it benefits as well. I find mine great in the winter or if I sleep too late and its too hot outside to get a run in. You can always add incline to your run and also on a treadmill you are forced to keep your pace. I think a combination of both is good.

Exactly this! I was just having this convo with a friend yesterday. I told her running on a treadmill doesn't allow you the automatic slowdown that your "human" brain will allow when your outside running. Treadmills make you actually put in a slower speed to slow down. I prefer the outside as well but will use the treadmill when its 100+degrees outside or snowing.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    The treadmill is good for when its a yucky day. I try to jog outside though. I love the wind going past me, watching the birds and viewing the mountains.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I’m a at home tready runner cause it’s just too damn hot out there right now to run. I would love it run outside, but I’m a whip I guess. I love my treadmill; get a GOOD one if you do decide to buy one. They last a lot longer.
  • VStar55
    VStar55 Posts: 75
    Options
    Owning a TM gives you more options. I enjoy running outside but there are times when it's better to run indoors, heat, cold, darkness, rain, safety or sometimes boredom with running the same route outdoors. I did about 85% of my half marathon training on a TM. A 1-2 % incline will replicate the feel of outdoor running. If you're going to fork over you're hard earned cash, don't waste it on a cheap, poor quality TM. Do your research, I think Runners World has a top 10 list.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I’m a at home tready runner cause it’s just too damn hot out there right now to run. I would love it run outside, but I’m a whip I guess. I love my treadmill; get a GOOD one if you do decide to buy one. They last a lot longer.

^^this. If I didn't have my treadmill, I'd be fat again! It is just too hot to run here, unless you get up at 4 am, and that just ain't gonna happen!

Get a good one if you invest. I did a lot of research, so message me if you'd like more details....
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The benefit of a home treadmill vs running outside?

1 constant speed and incline. Set up and the treadmill will hold you tonthe same speed for the duration. Treadmills don't have dog days

2. Immune to rain, sleet, wind, snow. Indoors means no excuses.

3. Free access to cold water and bathroom breaks.

4. Never too hot, cold, dark or bright

5. Ready to go 24/7. No waiting, no lines even can watch tv or DVD while you exercise

6. If not used, makes a great clothes rack

Do you run?
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Years ago I ran outside (even in the heat) and on an indoor track during winter (snow. and just too cold for my preference.) I loved it and could not imagine running on a treadmill. It felt weird and I didn't like it when I once tried it. Then I got fat. Fast forward to 2011 So I started this January on the elliptical. Hated it but I wanted to work hard without the worry of injury. Worked up to walking on the treadmill and then running on the treadmill. Lost about 40 pounds and then ran my first 5k in May. NO outdoor running but I did just fine, sporting a 24 minute time with 30 extra pound still to lose. I owe it to the treadmill to get me ready for that race. I also signed up for a relay race in the Tetons in 2 weeks. I love being able to set it at a 5% incline to prepare me for my big hills. With that said, I just went for a 6 mile walk outside with my friend this morning and loved it. Use a cardio app on my phone. Love that. The point is, running outside and running on a treadmill are both great ways to exercise.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    unn, I have a treadmill but honestly I haven't used it for a while. I do use it on occasion. I have walked and ran outside. I like it outside b/c there are variation in elevations and well there are things to see. I can only imagine so much in wall or door. If you have the weather outside!! definatley. But the treadmill is very convienent anytime and you have safety, you can wear anything or nothing if you so please. But outside is better.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think running outdoors is vastly superior. Find a trail and get after it! Or just around the neighborhood, whatever works for you. Alot of elevation changes, differences in surface recruit other muscles making you a more balanced runner than a treadmill warrior. Running outdoors is also harder. Great for race prep!

Having said that, there are times when a treadmill is great. Five days a week I run outdoors. But on my sixth running day (Sunday) I can't run in the morning. I have to fast before Communion at church. So I don't see myself busting out 10 miles and being OK with just water until early afternoon. So I run in the afternoon. The problem here currently is the horrendous heat wave. Sunday afternoon when it's 112 degrees, it's just not wise to go for a long run. So I hit the treadmill. I run year round, but I remember when we had an ice storm and the road outside my house was like glass. I tried to run on it, but turned around after a block. A treadmill would have been handy. But I wouldn't invest in a treadmill for these odd occasions. Better if it's just a part of your gym membership. Good luck!