Runners!

Options
I started running. The path is about 5 miles and takes me about 70 minutes. I don't know how to properly record this in my exercise (also doesn't running outside burn more calories than indoors?) Also, my appetite is now massive and I keep going over my calories, but I see my body taking shape.

Any runners have any suggestions and/or knowledge to help out a beginner?

Replies

• KatherineVictoria
    Options
    There are different option for running under exercise. That looks to be about a 13-14 minute mile. As you keep running you'll get quicker and run longer and all that good stuff. As for just starting out, just take it easy. I always run the same distance for a few days, and then after that run just a little bit farther.

Make sure you have a good pair of shoes, Brookes and Asics are the best but can be costly. You are supposed to change your shoes every 100 miles (i don't but that is what "they" say).

Running on grass instead of pavement will put less strain on your shins and knees, same goes with running on flat surfaces as opposed to downhill/uphill.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a runner too! Feel free to add me as a friend! Always looking for more runner friends :)
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Since MFP only goes down to 12 min. miles, select that and put 60 mins. for the time. That way it equals 5 miles. I run a lot and distance is most important to calorie burn. Walking 5 miles would give about the same burn, it would just take longer.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You're running about a 14 minute mile. In the exercise list if you look for running/jogging it will list by mph and Xminute miles. As for your appetite, your body needs fuel to run which is why your appetite is increasing but your body is shaping. I highly recommend Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners (you can get it on amazon etc). There is a lot of technical stuff in there about performance and racing etc, but I found that a lot of it explained why you would need such ratios etc to run and how your body processes everything to give you fuel. So even if you're not planning on any kind of road racing, it'll still help get the best performance running for yourself.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    yeah look up running or jogging then find the one that is around a 14min mile....that was your average this time. And its normal for you to need more food/energy when you are just starting to run. 70 minutes is a long time and you are burning a lot and need those calories to give you the energy. Overtime you wont feel as hungry all the time after a good run. But for now, eat back your work out calories.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your five mile runs. That is a very good distance for a beginning runner. Don't worry about speed for now.. you will get faster over time as you gain fitness and lose weight. Stick with it!

Originally, I was going to suggest that if you don't have a HRM, then log it as 70 minutes running @ 5 mph (12 minute pace). I believe this is the slowest pace that MFP has to select from. Close enough. You can round down the calories burned that it generates for you, since you were running at a bit slower pace, or not eat back all of these calories.

HOWEVER, I like what previous poster suggested better:

"Since MFP only goes down to 12 min. miles, select that and put 60 mins. for the time. That way it equals 5 miles. I run a lot and distance is most important to calorie burn. Walking 5 miles would give about the same burn, it would just take longer."
  • dga1972
    dga1972 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started running 10 weeks ago. I have seen 4 inches total go from my waist and hips and I have lost 8 pounds total. My BMI is within a healthy range so I dont have much to loose, but I really like the inches coming off. Keep it up. If you have a iphone download an app that can help you keep track of your runs. Nike + GPS is an excellent one. I try and not go too much over my alloted calories on run days.
    Take your minutes and divide it by your miles and you get your pace/mile. 70 min/5miles = 14min/mile pace.
    I am currently going thru some PT with my ankles and have been told not to run for 2 weeks. UGH! Although PT told me I could bike or swim to continue cardio. So those are other options as well.
    Keep up the good work.
  • icyhotlail
    Options
    Well this is a ~14 minute mile, which isn't bad for just starting. So for now unless you want to create a new exercise just log in under 5 mph run, as this is a 12 minute mile, but it is the lowest created under running. And yes, running outdoors is much better because you are actually having to propel your body forward, which takes much more energy. The reason you are feeling more and more hungry is because you are exercising for 70 minutes!!! That is ridiculous for someone just starting out so you are well on your way! So do not fret about eating more, unless it is junky, bad carb food. Follow the advice of the previous answer, and the key is to stretch!! Even on days you do not run, stretch. This will make a huge difference in your time over a few weeks. Good luck and keep up the great work.

U.S. Army MP
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    You're off to a great start! Don't worry about speed, just slowly increase your distance over time. Keep in mind that efficient running is silent running. If you're running and it sounds like your feet are making the "clomp clomp clomp" sound like horse hooves, then you're coming down too hard. Land light and easy...