help with mixing up workout

Options
I've primarily been walking or playing in the pool for exercise. I'd like some variety, however. I'm a complete novice with exercise.

I've noticed a few ppl talking about Jillian Michaels plans. I assume these are DVDs. Any suggestions for a good one to start with?

I have a bike downstairs. It's a regular bike on a stand to make it stationary, so I'm not sure how fast I'm going (i.e. what is "light" v "moderate"). Does anyone know if there's something I could put on it to guage? I find I'm a bad judge of that kind of thing. :D

We have a 70 lb punching bag. No idea how to use it effectively

I also have a Wii fit that admittedly I don't use a lot...my kids play Star Wars mostly on it. lol

As an FYI, I have 4 kids, so whatever I do, would need to be done with them in the house or with me. The youngest is a baby who rides in the stroller when we go out.

Replies

• gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM?
  • kjpollard
    Options
    no. I guess I need one...
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A 70 lbs. punching bag?????? I'm friends with a trainer at my gym and she is like a Jillian Micheals wannabe and she has people put the bag on the floor and lift and flip it. Doing that works arms, back, core and there's a squat in there too! Have I done it? Noooooooooooo.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii Fit Plus somedays. The aerobics parts and then yoga to cool down. I do about 30-40 minutes the days I use it. The next day I definitely feel I have used all my muscle groups. I feel it is a good cardio workout. I don't know anything about the gauge for the bike or punching bag so cant help you there. I also use a step and dvd combo I bought to do step aerobics. Thats a good cardio workout too. Then weights for my strength training. Hope this gives you some ideas. Good Luck!!
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    Jillian's 30 day shred is a great workout for home because they are short, but intense. I usually do 2 of them together. There are 3 levels on the dvd, and I will do level 1 and 2, but that is not necessary. Beachbody provides some very complete home fitness programs. They are a complete plan with suggested menus and all. They include cardio and strength training and there are a lot to choose from. You would pick the program based upon your fitness needs, goal and current level of fitness.
  • kjpollard
    Options
    A 70 lbs. punching bag?????? I'm friends with a trainer at my gym and she is like a Jillian Micheals wannabe and she has people put the bag on the floor and lift and flip it. Doing that works arms, back, core and there's a squat in there too! Have I done it? Noooooooooooo.

Yeah, my husband gave it to my son for his bday...yeah, he's 5. :laugh:
    It's hanging up and I seriously doubt I could get it down myself, but I could ask Clint to.

jhkh12...Is the Wii Fit Plus different than the Wii fit?
  • jvkh127
    Options

Yeah, my husband gave it to my son for his bday...yeah, he's 5. :laugh:
    It's hanging up and I seriously doubt I could get it down myself, but I could ask Clint to.

jhkh12...Is the Wii Fit Plus different than the Wii fit?

I think I have heard it is a little. I heard one difference is in Wii Fit Plus you can make an exercise program so each exercise starts up right after another without having to choose it. So its a quicker transition between exercises. But even without that it is not that hard to just choose the next exercise quickly. I dont know if thats the only difference though. Maybe ask around and get others feedback. I like the exercises because they make it fun too. the aerobics are all sort of games and then also free running, bicycling (but no resistance which is not good but you still work up a sweat). Those kinds of things keep it interesting to me.
  • P90x is a great workout video, Its challenging but you'll get great results. Otherwise you could do Power 90 or Master series to build up to it.
    P90x comes with 12 DVDs that help you get ripped(or toned/lose weight) in 90 days
    DVD 1 is Chest and back,
    DVD 2: Plyometrics
    DVD 3: Shoulders and arms
    DVD 4: Yoga X
    DVD 5: Legs and back
    DVD 6: Kenpo X
    DVD 7: X stretch
    DVD 8: Core Synergistics
    DVD 9: Chest, shoulders, and triceps
    DVD 10: Back and biceps
    DVD 11: Cardio X
    DVD 12: Ab ripper X
  • jvkh127
    Options
    KJ here is another post where people are talking about Wii....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310040-wii-alone

maybe you can get some info from other members about Wii Fit.
    Good Luck!