Please can I have some support...

Options
My name is Nicki. I am 5 ft 4"" and started off at 12 st 7 lbs (overweight I know!!). This is partly due to the fact I gave up smoking last year and have put on some extra pounds.

About 7 weeks ago, I joined a gym and have been going around 5 times a week. Before I joined the gym I had taken up jogging/running , but realised that I don't think its for me...!!!

I go to the gym and generally walk on the treadmill for around an hour - burning about 500 calories. I also then do a bit of rowing - but being a bit careful with this as I suffer with a bad back now and again.

I'm not particularly watching what I eat, as I like my food, but surely to go from a complete couch potato to someone who is doing a fair bit of exercise - I cannot understand why the weight is not coming off. I went down to 12 st (according to my scales) and now am back up to 12st 5 lbs (according to the scales at the gym).

I'm getting quite fed up about it all now...some advice would be good. I normally keep within my calorie limit, but maybe I'm guessing I'm still eating the wrong foods - but surely something should be coming off?

PLEASE HELP!!

Replies

• STARSHINE1975
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food so that you are logging it accurately? It was a huge eye opener for me when I weighed my food for the first time. I was guessing at the amounts when I logged in the food. I was actually using twice the amount of creamer, cereal, rice and pretty much everything that I thought I was using. And if you are not weighing it, you may find that you are eating more than usual because you are working out and burning more calories.
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    Perhaps try using the Food diary on here to record exactly what you are eating (the good, the bad & the ugly - all of it). It might help you see where you could make some improvements, or even if you are eating more calories than you think you are.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about two years ago also. So I know what it is you're saying. I would love to add you as a friend on here and be part of your support group.:happy:
  • abeachlady
    Options
    Nope, I did that too, thinking the exercise alone would do it. I actually got fatter. Only when I started logging my calories here did I lose weight, and it came off fast. It's easy when you know how many calories are in the foods you eat.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Make a lot of friends on this site. It really does help to motivate you. If you make your diary open where your friends can see it, that also helps.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a few weeks before true signs of weight loss are obvious (i.e. the scale moving).

You definitely have to start eating much better and also keep track of your sodium. You may be carrying extra water weight. In order to help that out, keep drinking tons of water.

Watching what you eat is, imo, more important than all the exercise. I can run and run daily and not lose any weight but if I make sure to be as clean and "perfect" as possible to what I eat, I see the weight dropping.

Don't think this means disregarding all foods (i love my chocolate) but look into other options, cutting back on bad carbs (i.e. white rice), and maintaining a healthy diet. It seems you did lose some weight and your body is probably getting used the routine... so switch it up as well.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Also, a great thing to keep track of is sodium, which you can get the food diary on here to track as well as the usual suspects. You'll be surprised just how much it affects your overall weight.
  • rmjj5
    rmjj5 Posts: 55
    Options
    Some people increase thier calorie intake and that seems to work for them - you will see many post and forums about eating more to lose more. What is your current calorie intake? Also do you take your measurements? Not all weight loss victories are on the scale, if you are going to the gym and burning 500 cals you are probably lossing inches. Just keep with it. Feel free to add me as a friend for support and encouragement.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need to use the same scales at the same time of day as all scales will be different.
  • nicbic123
    nicbic123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    are you drinking plenty of water? vegetables & fruit help to speed up your metabolism too! keep the sodium/salt down as low as possible as too much of this helps to retain a lot if water...there's also the possibility you are building more muscle (which is denser/heavier than fat) have you measured yourself? are your clothes looser? hope this helps...feel free to add me if you like x

i agree with above post us the same scales at the same time...1st thing in the morning is the most accurate
  • 4lifenhealth
    Options
    Nicki, if you have back problems, I just want to suggest that you may want to alternate treadmill with other non-weightbearing exercises...like the bike. It's also good to vary your workout so you don't get bored. Good for you for getting to the gym! As for the weight loss, you may want to look at what kinds of foods you are eating and the amounts. And focus on being healthy vs. losing weight. The more you focus on the weight, it seems like the longer it takes and the more unhappy it can make you.
  • nicbic123
    nicbic123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    try swimming as well as this is easier on the back,burns loads of calories and uses ALL your muscles
  • nickiw68
    nickiw68 Posts: 71
    Options
    Yep, I already log my calories on MFP...and yes, I have just gone down a size..so something is happening..but just would have thought that more weight would have come off...
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would trade the treadmill for the elliptical...You burn more calories in less time, depending on the level you set...It'll kick your butt, however, you may just learn to love it like I did...Also, I agree with some of the other posters....Log EVERYTHING you put into your mouth and drink water like there's no tomorrow...Good luck on your journey... :flowerforyou:
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    i'm no expert, but you asked for advice. when it comes to weighing yourself, you should only do it with the same scale in the same spot at the same time of the day. scales are going to measure differently from one another and you will weigh different throughout the day. watching your sodium could help too. if you're eating a lot of sodium it causes you to retain water weight. and i'm not sure where you're getting the 500 calories burned in 1 hr. unless you're using a HRM (heart rate monitor), i wouldnt trust what the treadmill says. but i know you have the willpower to do this. it was a hard lifestyle change to make when you quit smoking. this is another one. just try to eat clean when you can. and good luck.
  • nickiw68
    Options
    Ha, ha...that's what the treadmill tells me I have burnt off!!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I've just had a look at your food diary...

500 calories burned off from walking sounds quite generous to me, and I'd be surprised if you actually did burn that much off...

Exercise alone isn't going to help you loose weight though, you need to look at changing your diet as well. Simple things to start with, for example:

Cut out the butter. I'd have thought with the cheese triangles you could spread those so don't need it anyway?

Oven chips instead of deep fried chips, easy to change.
    Half of the pizza, bulk it out with salad etc on the plate, or even a few oven chips if you want.

Also try and spread your calories out a bit. Some of your meals have 700+ calories. Aim for 300-500 per meal, and include some snacks.

I know you are under your calorie goal most days, but a lot of your calories ar from fats which isn't good.

You've started on the right path by exercising and recording your eating habbits, now it's time to start looking at your diary and exercise log and see how you can improve it to help you loose weight.

Hope this is read in the positive way it should be.
  • nickiw68
    Options
    Yes, thankyou for your "positive" comments...I know my food diary is crap sometimes!!!

I think I really need to rethink my diet!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    That's why the dreaded equation is that's it's at least 85% diet. You can spend a solid hour working out, and burning 500 calories. Do you know how easy it is to eat 500 calories? VERY! So if you're not paying too much attention to the diet, or not measuring then you could be undoing your workout almost immediately and then you're back to square one. Gotta zero in on the diet first...maybe even stop the exercising if starting off with both is too much too fast...and then add it back in. But if you're not almost exact with calories, the exercise may be a bit moot. HTH!
  • FrauHausMaus
    Options
    You don't have to quit the good foods cold turkey, but you should make sure to control your portion sizes. Measure everything and count every calorie! If you deny yourself foods you like, you're sure to end up over-eating them later, but maybe if you add filling, healthy choices alongside the bad stuff (like a big salad with a burger or slice of pizza) and cut out whatever fat and extra calories you can, you may start to see a difference. Healthy food will make you feel better too, and give you lots more energy.