Strength training with back problems

Options
kkerri
kkerri Posts: 276 Member
Does anyone have degenerative disk/spine issues and manage to strength train? I used to do videos (FIRM, etc.) and that was okay until my back got worse. I have degenerative disk disease, spondlylisthesis and a few other things going on. I can ride a recumbent bike, but doing free weights (squats/lunges/etc.) bother me.

I just got a total gym-type machine and think that will be okay, but am wondering if I should be doing nautilus machines at the gym. I know that I will be better if I am stronger, but it's a catch 22 because I can't do the work to build strength.

Replies

• danewton
    danewton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a bulging disk in my back and the physical therapist advised me to do pilates. I have been doing that for about 1 1/2 - 2 years. I can tell when I haven't done enough pilates training - I can't stand up straight after sitting. Doing pilates will strengthen your core muscles that support your back. However, they won't give you that 6-pack if that is what you are seeking. It gives you a strong and lean abdomen and a strong, supportive back.
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a lot of back issues, in fact I had spinal lamenectomy and fusion ,lumbar, in Feb. If you keep your core engageded and watch your weights you should be able to do some of it. I workout in the water a lot too. It makes the lunges & squats a lot easier to handle. The more you slowly get strengthened the more you will be able to do. Baby steps.:smile:
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am likely a fusion candidate, but we are definitely NOT doing tht until I am miserable. For the past year, I have managed my pain my only doing a recumbent bike (walking and anything with impact is not an option) and getting the injections.

I have managed to lose 10+ pounds, but unfortunately, I am not getting in shape with only the bike.