grow longer hair

Options
2»

Replies

• hamp8891
    hamp8891 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle

Obviously supplements will help the growing hair to be healthier, otherwise, the timing is orchestrated by hormones.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think hair must be mostly genetics. All my family have very long, insanely thick hair, that grows and grows. I do nothing with my hair. I rarely brush it (couple of times a week), never blow dry or colour it, and never use conditioner, though I use moisturising shampoos. Mostly, I put it up and ignore it. Get it cut once or twice a year. I don't have split ends or any condition problems. I would say not colouring, blow drying or straightening were the most important things for hair condition. No chemicals or heat!

I take skin, hair and nail supplements, though I don't think they do a lot. I take them because I have stupid, weak, paper-like fingernails.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    try the suppliments that are recommended but keep in mind I do believe that hair seems to have a predisposition of how long it will grow. My hair would never grow past my waist... ever. I know of some people who have ankle length hair, yours is shoulder length. It may not get longer but it can still be beautiful. You are taking good care of it.
  • fteale
    Options
    try the suppliments that are recommended but keep in mind I do believe that hair seems to have a predisposition of how long it will grow. My hair would never grow past my waist... ever. I know of some people who have ankle length hair, yours is shoulder length. It may not get longer but it can still be beautiful. You are taking good care of it.

True. My sister and niece can both sit on their hair. They never get it cut, ever, but that's the length it grows to and stops. Mine grows to about midway down my back, maybe waist length, but I have never been able to sit on it.
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    My mom always told me that my hair would grow if it got trims. I always assumed that it's because the dead ends are off so the hair is healthy again (something like that haha). Whenever I get it trimmed it seems to grow faster than normal, but I've also never dyed it or highlighted it, blow dried it every time I shower and/or put hair products in it every time I go out. I letmy hair to dry naturally unless I'm going somewhere special (job interview or something like that). I never heard of taking hair vitamins, but I agree with asking a hairstylist. They should know.

Hope this helps!
  • fteale
    Options
    Hair grows from the roots, not the ends, so cutting the ends should have any effect on the speed it's coming out of your head.
  • livlinde
    livlinde Posts: 39
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I think I have a better idea of what to do now. I'm going to research some of the vitamins you all mentioned, and give them a go. And I'll try to just take care of the hair that I do have in the meantime! :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I take a biotin supplement - it has done wonders for my hair and nails - you should check it out. :flowerforyou:

This is what I was told by my stylist when I half jokingly asked. She was serious, too. :flowerforyou:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Dont you have to be pregnant to take prenatal vitamins?

No, you can get them over the counter. I had to take them a long while ago to treat my anemia. You can get them at any pharmacy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have extremely long hair and I don't use shampoo. I think that is probably the best way to prevent split ends and breakage. Yeah, really. Scrub your hair with conditioner (you have to use a lot) and rinse VERY thoroughly. Reapply a leave-in of you need it. If you need more scrubbing power, use some brown sugar in the conditioner.

I was skeptical until I tried it. My hair gets every bit as clean as it did when I used shampoo.

Also I second the biotin supplements, they work wonders for hair and nails.

Lastly, everyone has a natural hair cycle. The hair grows until it reaches the end of its cycle and then it comes out. Some people have a longer cycle than others. How much hair are you seeing in the comb every day? If you use a brush, stop that and use a comb. Comb it out starting from the bottom up, careful not to break the hair. Separate with your fingers if you need to.

Listen to Sue. She has AMAZING hair!!! :heart:
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend who was on a soft food diet for a long time and ate LOTS of Jello. Her nails & hair grew like crazy and the dr told her it was from the Jello. Can't hurt to try a 10 cal treat to grow your hair while doing other stuff too.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Dont you have to be pregnant to take prenatal vitamins?

No. From what I understand, women are encouraged to take them during their entire child bearing years, whether you have kids or not. I guess the idea is that you take them BEFORE getting pregnant, and during pregnancy, to ensure that you are not deficient, and reduce birth defects. It just happens to have a side effect of making your skin, hair, and nails very nice.

I do not know this from experience though. My mom told me about it. I am terrified of anyone catching me in the store with prenatal vitamins because I don't want them thinking that I want to become pregnant. I get teased enough about that as it is.
  • heatherdoll40
    heatherdoll40 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I keep my hair long by keeping it up.
    I had the same problem as you couldn't get much past my shoulders. I was just breaking it off sitting in the car, in bed, anywhere that you can come into contact with it my shoulders pressed against it and it started to break there. Now I were it in a folded pony tail most of the time and let it down when I want to show off my lovely locks. My hair is going gray and I love it!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the responses...however, I think you should take a good daily multi vitamin, eat as healthfuly as possible, air dry, make sure your shampoo/conditioner are natural and contain no sulfates or alcohols. My hair is half way down my back at the moment and it has been as long as past my butt. Proper care and diet are all that is needed. I'll change my pic to one from before I cut it 'short'...aka boob length for me, lol.

*edit- I do dye my hair...but no other chemicals. I also never use any other process or heat on my hair.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Timely topic for me. My hair is in good condition despite all I do to it (keratin treatments, dye, heat, etc)... but I'm wanting to grow it back out again. My husband sorta hinted that he misses me having longer locks. I've had a chin-length bob for quite a while. Ugh... I hate growing hair out. I'm going to try some of these suggestions to see if any of them help! Thanks yall...