Just an FYI (please read!!!!)

Options
jvkh127
jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
I am not sure if anyone has posted about this yet. I am sure everyone heard about the Ground Turkey recall. But some are not aware of all the brands on the recall list.
Please see the attach PDF for the dates and brands.
Stay safe my fellow MFP'ers!!

http://www.cargill.com/wcm/groups/public/@ccom/documents/document/na3047772.pdf

Replies

• jjbell34
    jjbell34 Posts: 37
    Options
    thanks!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This I did not know. I had some of this a few weeks ago and think i still have some in the freezer. Time to throw it out. Things like this make me wish I could be veggie again...but for health reasons, cannot.
  • MayaMadness
    Options
    This is just another example of why factory farming is awful. It's bad for our health, the people who work at these factories, the environment, and of course the animals. I'm actually not opposed to eating meat, but refrain from eating anything factory farmed - it takes suffering, cruelty, and inhumane practices to a whole new level for all parties involved.

If you are curious, please get informed: http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/campaigns/factory_farming/
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you could avoid these recalls entirely if you simply stay away from factory meats.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    you could avoid these recalls entirely if you simply stay away from factory meats.

Very true. I am a vegetarian and it is much rarer for veggies to be recalled. The ones that are are usually from giant companies, and never heard of organic produce being recalled. I try to eat local and organic as much as possible.
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    TY i been tryin to remember cause i had just had some not long ago and the frozen ones...i gotta check this list.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Don't hate on the factories just for a recall! Everyone makes mistakes you know >.>
  • MayaMadness
    Options
    Don't hate on the factories just for a recall! Everyone makes mistakes you know >.>

There are a lot more reasons to hate factories than just one recall. The recall is really just a symptom of a much larger, more insidious problem.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options

There are a lot more reasons to hate factories than just one recall. The recall is really just a symptom of a much larger, more insidious problem.

Like what, the fact that it's pretty much the only sustainable method of feeding the masses?

Lets face it, without industrialized food processing, there is no way we could make enough food to feed everyone. Until we find a way, for example, of farming organic crops WITHOUT losing 80% of the yield, the processes we have are here to stay.
  • Seajolly
    Options

Like what, the fact that it's pretty much the only sustainable method of feeding the masses?

Lets face it, without industrialized food processing, there is no way we could make enough food to feed everyone. Until we find a way, for example, of farming organic crops WITHOUT losing 80% of the yield, the processes we have are here to stay.

How is industrialized (giant corporations) methods of farming the only sustainable method of feeding the masses? If more people had organic farms and organic, smaller farms all over the country became the norm, I fail to see how feeding the masses would suffer?

As of now, we have a corrupt system that is not only unhealthy for the consumer (with food recalls becoming the norm), but it is also unhealthy for the farmers (if they can even really be called so anymore, considering the industrialized farming system is sooo different from really being what a farmer used to be defined as), it is unhealthy to our ecosystem, local economies (as the money from these "corporate farms" does NOT stay in local economies), and nation as a whole since industrialized agriculture's profits go into the hands of really just a few people in this country. It is no wonder that our country is obese AND broke right now.

Think what a difference smaller organic farms would make! More money going into local economies, healthier people who would become less dependent on state or federal health assistance because of increased health, more jobs as organic farmers need more employees than the spray-and-go giant industrial farms... The reasons are endless.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Please don't turn this into an argument people. I was just trying to inform the people that do eat ground turkey so they don't end up sick or worse. Everyone has the right to choose what they eat. Be respectful of that please.
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information.

Without getting into a debate, I encourage EVERYONE regardless of what "side" you are on to do your research. I started looking into this matter and I'm glad I did. While I can't speak fo you, I know that I feel better knowing I can make an educated decision.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    This is just another example of why factory farming is awful. It's bad for our health, the people who work at these factories, the environment, and of course the animals. I'm actually not opposed to eating meat, but refrain from eating anything factory farmed - it takes suffering, cruelty, and inhumane practices to a whole new level for all parties involved.

If you are curious, please get informed: http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/campaigns/factory_farming/

If so many people would stop having so many kids.. we wouldn't feel the need to factory farm.
  • Seajolly
    Options
    Please don't turn this into an argument people. I was just trying to inform the people that do eat ground turkey so they don't end up sick or worse. Everyone has the right to choose what they eat. Be respectful of that please.

Thanks for posting your original message here. This is a good way to make sure a lot of people find out about the recall that might normally miss this kind of info! Sorry for adding further fuel to the fire in the "debate" but this is a forum, which is where people can be free to discuss things.