alternative to mayo?

Options
I have a friend who wants to start eating better, she has around 100lbs to lose. Her last diet was Atkins (see weight yet to lose for how well that worked out!) during which her favorite snack was tomato slices spread with mayo (shudder) she LOVES mayo and while I know in moderation its not bad, she needs to learn the moderation part. Can anyone suggest a similar tasting light alternative?
I'm a greek yogurt junkie and sub it for all kinds of things and I was thinking a little lemon juice and some salt would give it the salty tang... but I hate mayo so I wouldn't be a good judge if its a good alternative or not!

Replies

• valeri223
    valeri223 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    what about using fat free or light mayo instead?
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    light mayo is good it's what I use. Best Foods Light Mayo

You could also try Miracle Whip? I've heard it's lower in cal/fat but I just don't like the taste. I'm def a mayo person...gotta have it on my sandwiches
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    light miracle whip tastes great on a tomato sandwich with some salt on toast
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I suggest low fat plain yogurt. Especially in recipes, like tuna salad - NOBODY can tell the difference, my grandkids love my tuna salad
    I also sub plain yogurt for sour cream on baked potatoes - yummmmmmm
    You can use it for dips, salad dressings etc
    I keep low fat plain yogurt in my fridge, it's a staple
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    light miracle whip tastes great on a tomato sandwich with some salt on toast

yum, yes it does :)
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Kraft Olive Oil Mayo is light enough and tastes great.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you're using it in recipes or tuna salad or something like that, greek yogurt works amazing! If she's using it plain on a sandwich though there'd probably be a noticeable taste difference so I'd try getting a light mayo for that.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Have her try this - it's not as sweet as mayo but if that's a problem maybe add truvia?

2 hard boiled egg whites
    apple cider vinegar (I'm not sure how much) start with 1 TBSP and move up from there.

Put this into a food processor (I used my magic bullet) and voila! Mayo! I used this amount to mix into about 5 ounces of chopped chicken to make chicken salad.

I think with a touch (maybe half a packet) of truvia it could be perfect!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Mix:
    3 Tblsp fat-free plain greek yogurt
    1 tsp spicy brown mustard
    pinch of salt
    pinch of splenda (optional)

Total calories: about 28

Got this from a tip column in Good Housekeeping Magazine
  • nicbic123
    nicbic123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    the hellmans EXTRA LIGHT mayo is virtually fat free...and STILL just as tasty!!!
  • justimogen
    Options
    I like Miracle Whip (actually more than mayo), but there are other non-salad-dressing type spreads that taste great. How about some hummus or avocado?

She might also try light olive oil mayo or one of the healthier alternatives out there on the market.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Have her try this - it's not as sweet as mayo but if that's a problem maybe add truvia?

2 hard boiled egg whites
    apple cider vinegar (I'm not sure how much) start with 1 TBSP and move up from there.

Put this into a food processor (I used my magic bullet) and voila! Mayo! I used this amount to mix into about 5 ounces of chopped chicken to make chicken salad.

oh excellent! I'll give her this recipe, have you ever tried it on a sandwich rather than mixed into a salad?
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Mix:
    3 Tblsp fat-free plain greek yogurt
    1 tsp spicy brown mustard
    pinch of salt
    pinch of splenda (optional)

Total calories: about 28

Got this from a tip column in Good Housekeeping Magazine

thank you!
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love mayo but def need a replacement. Thanks for the tips!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    light mayo is fine, but I've also heard of mashed avocado. You could also check out some recipes for paleo mayo which is quite healthy (pretty much just eggs, olive oil, and a small amount of mustard).
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    light mayo is fine, but I've also heard of mashed avocado. You could also check out some recipes for paleo mayo which is quite healthy (pretty much just eggs, olive oil, and a small amount of mustard).

I've done this, it's delicious and basically has the same texture, the taste is just a little more buttery with the avocado but it's definitely good on a sandwich!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options

2 hard boiled egg whites

oh excellent! I'll give her this recipe, have you ever tried it on a sandwich rather than mixed into a salad?

I haven't tried it yet on a sandwich. I found that recipe here on MFP and I had to try it immediately, and liked it.

On sandwiches I've been using Laughing Cow light cheese wedges... I love the garlic and herb... depending on what food you're putting on the sandwich (I usually have buffalo chicken or Jennie O Turkey Pastrami) this is a great choice. Lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, peeled carrot strips and cheese wedge! YUM!