Advice about vacation?

Options
So on monday i will be going away for 5 days with my family. We are going to our holiday home in rural wales, a kind of "middle of nowhere" vacation. I'm not too worried about food since we can still control what we eat, but i know i will be tempted by and allow myself a few treats since it is a holiday.. so i really want to keep up on my exercise. I have been doing so well over the past few weeks that i am just worried that i will let it drop too much during this vacation. Since i've been home during the days I have done the 30 day shred every day and then 30 minutes of cardo on 5/7 days this past week, but on vacation i know there won't be much time to work on my cardio. I promised my mum that i would keep doing the shred with her and i have a copy on my ipod, so that's alright, but I was just wondering how you guys get your cardio in while on vacation. I have an elliptical at home and i use lots of workout dvds, so i'm kinda lost in the middle of nowhere. Any ideas? Thank you all for your help!

Replies

• nomnomgal
    Options
    Do lots of walking or hiking? I reckon there'd be a number of trails in rural wales? Exercise doesn't need to be something extremely organized. Whilst 5 days won't break your diet (hopefully!) I know how you feel. When we were in London just the other week for 5 days, I was certain that I was going to gain huge amounts. Whilst I did gain a marginal amount, it wasn't as bad as I had thought, because I had really tried to be good with the food and portions, despite going out to eat every day. We of course walked alot. Walking around Westfield mall must have burnt something (other than a whole in my wallet!). It's all in the mental attitude. If you go on vacation with the mindset that "Oh wth, I'm on vacation..." you will gain. I'm not saying be horrendously strict on yourself, you are on vacation, however what I tend to do is try to assess the guilt factor afterwards. Will this shortlived satisfaction outway the guilt I'll feel afterwards for eating it, or will it really be worth it? I tend to feel horribly guilty afterwards if I knew that I had eaten something I shouldn't have or if I had eaten too much. And then I have to work extra harder to get it off afterwards. So, I save myself the trouble, and try to resist. If I really can't, i exercise damage control. For example, white chocolate cheesecake, I couldn't resist. So, I had the first and last bites, whilst the hubby had all in the middle.

I don't know what kind of answer you're looking for, but that's my 2 cents on vacationing anyway. I hope you have a wonderful time on Vacay though!
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, go on a 30 min walk or hike! Take a good pair of trainers and first thing in the morning, just go out and do it. You probably won't burn as much as on an elliptical, but anything is better than nothing. Have fun on your holiday!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I truthfully know nothing about rural Wales, but I'm fairly certain you could do a lot of walking, hiking and maybe some bike riding? Enjoy getting out into the open air!
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    You don't have to go to the gym to workout, grab a 5 liter jug of water, throw it in a back back and look for some hills to walk up and down. When you get to the top stop and do 50 push ups and 50 sit-ups...

Repeat until exhausted :-)
  • elliej3
    elliej3 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys, you are so right i dont need to be so structured :) I guess i just needed a little encouragement to bring my trainers and get out there and walk. I will think of you all while i'm there! Lots of love <3