Getting everything you need with a vegan diet?

Options
Hello! A friend recently convinced me to sign a 30 day vegan pledge, so here I am. I have tried being a vegan before, but often couldn't get enough protein/calories in (veggies have so little). So I'm here to ask, what are good things to eat on a vegan diet? What can I eat to get all the protein I need? I take a multivitamin everyday. What are some staples for a vegetarian/vegan diet?

Replies

• maddielu
    maddielu Posts: 12
    Options
    seitan, tempeh, tofu, beans and many fake products will have all the protein and calories you are looking for and when cooked properly are the most delicious thing you'll ever eat.
    http://www.mytrainerbob.com/daily-journal
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am veggie, not vegan, but I firmly believe veganism is healthier. I just love cheese too much. Getting there, though. Soy milk - I prefer it to cows milk these days. I like Alpro light fresh. Not great in tea, but it's great on cereal.

There is a lot you can do with tofu - silken tofu can be scrambled like eggs and with a bit of soy sauce is very similar. Or harder tofu can be coated in cornflour and fried, as a meat replacement in stir fries. There are some good TVP products out there too. Apparently Quorn isn't vegan, though, so avoid that.

Nuts, seeds, avocado, linseeds are great for omega 3, I sometimes get linseed enriched bread or wraps. You can use spelt or kamut flour instead of normal, which are 12% protein.

And obviously lots of vegetables!