Running with sore knees

momofJandA
momofJandA Posts: 1,035 Member
edited September 30 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've been running 2-3 miles, 5x a week for about a month now (did workout videos at home before I started running). The problem is my knees are killing me. They are sore all the time now, even when not running, especially when bending (which I do all the time I have a 3 year old and a 16 month old). I was taking aleve before my runs, but I don't know if I should be taking that every day. So pointers, tips, ideas on how to alleviate the knee pain?

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    So I've been running 2-3 miles, 5x a week for about a month now (did workout videos at home before I started running). The problem is my knees are killing me. They are sore all the time now, even when not running, especially when bending (which I do all the time I have a 3 year old and a 16 month old). I was taking aleve before my runs, but I don't know if I should be taking that every day. So pointers, tips, ideas on how to alleviate the knee pain?

What shoes are you wearing? Are you using inserts?
    Current weight --- mileage?

Alot of the people with knee pain that I know was because they were running in the wrong type of shoes without arch support and they needed it. Its ok to take ibuprofen on a regular basis... but you shouldnt have to drug yourself up to get through the rest days too that is usually where I draw the line. I ache alot ... and as a heavy girl runner I expect to, but I never ever take meds on rest days!
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Have you been fitted for shoes lately? Could be that or maybe your running style is off and its putting stress on them.
  • wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Hey--
    I have had good luck when it comes to relieving running pain if its joint pain (not muscle or ligament pain) with taking a dose of flax oil before my run. Literally right before I just do a shooter of 1 tbsp of flax. It's anti-inflammatory agents and good fats really seem to relieve the pain.

Also, I wondered, are your knees hurting through the evening or into the next day after a run? If they do, it might be a problem with your shoes or running gait. Or even if you notice you run flat footed, that could really contribute to knee pain. I think if the flax doesn't help, I'd get a good pair of Dr. Scholls inserts and see if maybe supporting your arch more, doesn't east the pain.

Good luck!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Hey--
    I have had good luck when it comes to relieving running pain if its joint pain (not muscle or ligament pain) with taking a dose of flax oil before my run. Literally right before I just do a shooter of 1 tbsp of flax. It's anti-inflammatory agents and good fats really seem to relieve the pain.

Also, I wondered, are your knees hurting through the evening or into the next day after a run? If they do, it might be a problem with your shoes or running gait. Or even if you notice you run flat footed, that could really contribute to knee pain. I think if the flax doesn't help, I'd get a good pair of Dr. Scholls inserts and see if maybe supporting your arch more, doesn't east the pain.

Good luck!

FYI - humans actually lack the enzyme to break down flax seed oil into omega 3 fatty acids, so its very unlikely that the flax is doing anything for you. You would do better with olive oil or a fish oil tablet.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). rest meaning no running for a week or two. You may be experiencing the terrible twos (too much, too soon). If RICE doesnt help, i suggest seeing a sports doctor
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Sometimes it is from the surface you are running on. Concrete is the worst, asphalt is next. A lot of runners that I know are switching to trails, myself included. I run on the sidewalks and streets some, but not like I used to. Grass, dirt, any softer surface is much better for your body all the way around. Sometimes, though, it's harder to find trails. There are a lot of trails around me, but they are a half an hour away. For convenience sake, I generally do my morning runs on the sidewalks at home. BUT... trails are much more forgiving and a LOT of fun. Nearly everyone I know that has tried trails are HOOKED!! :flowerforyou:
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    I have had bad knees from running for awhile... and for various reasons. They are sidelining me at the moment and I have had to relay on elliptical and yoga/weight classes.
    I found out (after semi-obsessive research) that knee pain mostly comes from muscle imbalances and weaknesses. I found a couple of articles that give some good stabilizing/strengthening exercises. My favorite two are on my MFP blog right now.
    Make sure that you stretch thoroughly post-run, and ice your knee for at least 20 minutes or so afterwards...every time.
    Also, glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplements help give your body what it needs to maintain your joint health. It does seem to help mine. They are completely natural compounds that your body needs and they do not have side effects.
    You have my sympathy! Sore knees are a pain! I hope they start healing up soon. =)

ps... I don't know anything about your shoes, but improper shoes can cause knee pain if they are "correcting" a problem that your feet don't actually have. If you go to a running specialty shoe store, an employee can look at your foot and your gait to tell you what kind of shoe you need. Alternatively, Mizuno has a precision fit program on their website which will teach you how to analyze your feet/stride/fitness goals/gait yourself. It is excellent and free. =)
    Here's the link:
    http://www.mizunousa.com/running/innovation/precision-fit

Hope this helps!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,035 Member
    Thanks for the replies everybody- I'm guessing its a combination of the way I run, my shoes, and where I run (all sidewalks). Just an FYI- I am 33 and weigh 132lbs.
  • stellar1230
    stellar1230 Posts: 1 Member
    "FYI - humans actually lack the enzyme to break down flax seed oil into omega 3 fatty acids, so its very unlikely that the flax is doing anything for you. You would do better with olive oil or a fish oil tablet. "

Humans can't digest the fiber. http://www.livestrong.com/article/512066-human-digestion-of-flax-seed/
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    RICE first and foremost. Then when and if you're feeling better make sure you've got decent running shoes. If you picked it up at Target it's not a decent running shoe. You can also start switching out running days with some time on an eliptical -- it's still good cardio and it is MUCH easier on your knees. You get your heart rate up and movement without as much strain.
This discussion has been closed.