yoga instead of weight training?

Options
If I'm going to start running for a 10k... I should be getting two or three days of weight training. Does anybody have an ideas about whether or not yoga is a good substitute for weigh machines or like Ripped in 30?

The flexibility part should count... the classes that are (fortunately) closest have a lot of planks and that crazy yoga pushup :) So it's not chill yoga, it's definitely muscularly (sp?? idk) intense.

Replies

• pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    Nothing beats weight training for building lean muscles. I use yoga as a substitute for days in between really hard strength training workouts.
  • jsteinberger423
    jsteinberger423 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I ran my 10k I still lifted weight and also incorporated yoga for my "off days" or maybe the day after my long run. I don't think it replaces weight but is a great compliment to your workouts.
  • stephanie_88
    Options
    The class that I go is similar to what you are describing. I have muscles in my arms that weren't there before and I've only been doing it since May. I count it as strength training.
  • CaffeineGenie
    CaffeineGenie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for flexibility training. Nothing replaces strength training with free weights! Exercises like squats and lunges and core work will build strength and help you as a runner.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Me too. Yoga or pilates either one will give you abs like no crunch EVER will! ;) And I would think for a runner, flexibility will really help you avoid injury.
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    no. i don't think yoga would give you all the benefits weight training would.. now PILATES might be more beneficial, but i think weight training would still be the best
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    hmm... I'll probably do both for flexibility (def. agree about injury prevention!) and weights. I really like a long workout on weight machines :happy:

thanks!!
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Yoga is AWESOME but not a substitute.
    Strength training and running would really benefit from your doing yoga. It's a matter of injury prevention. Flexibility will help so, so much. And it really does work muscles that somehow don't get worked as much in typical weight training and running workouts.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, yoga is amazing for flexibility and stress relief but adding weights builds lean muscle a lot faster and more efficiently:-) lean muscle also burns more calories the fat!!! So weight training is dah bomb:-) at least twice a week is best:-) good luck on your 10 K