High protein meal recommendations?

tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
I've been trying to increase my protein intake (trying to get at least around 100 grams per day) and it seems like my only options are to just ...EAT protein in the form of bars/shakes or eat big piles of lean meat. I find it very tedious to eat more than 5-6 ounces of lean meat. Any ideas? I'm not fat/carb conscious but I do prefer to keep my caloric intake daily below 1500 calories (somewhere between 1300 and 1500) to maintain a deficit.

Suggestions? I'm also willing to entertain a protein powder that I can have in almond milk but I kind of prefer that it not be 140 calories/scoop like so many I see

PS I hate the chalky taste of protein bars so its very much NOT my first choice.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    greek yogurt? Chobani plain has 18g of protein for 100 cals
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    I like scrambled egg whites or an eggwhite omelet with spinach, tomato, peppers, onion.. tasty and high protein. You can add low-fat cheese and chicken or turkey.

Chicken with black beans.

Greek yogurt. (no added sugar)
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Tuna! A can of tuna has 40 g of protein and only 120 calories. You can get Light Mayonnaise (I get Great Value at Wal-mart) that is 20 calories per tablespoon. I usually mix 2 tablespoons with a can of tuna to make sandwiches or put on a lettuce salad.
    Also if you are looking for a protein powder. Try Optimum Nutrition brand. 130 calories but when mixed with some skim milk it is like drinking deliciousness ;D
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    How do you feel about tuna? I eat it right out of the foil pouch, and they have seasoned ones now. Very high in protein, low in fat and carbs.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 445 Member
    Tuna & salmon, beans & legumes like pintos, chick peas & lentils. Cook them yourself to control the sodium content ~ the canned beans have so much added unless you can find the low sodium. I don't eat red meat & find it a challenge to eat enough protein without eating a lot of chicken, which I eat less than once a week. Good luck!
    Tuna! A can of tuna has 40 g of protein and only 120 calories. You can get Light Mayonnaise (I get Great Value at Wal-mart) that is 20 calories per tablespoon. I usually mix 2 tablespoons with a can of tuna to make sandwiches or put on a lettuce salad.

Dont forget anchovies and kippers! I like them :D dunno many others that do but its worth a try :D altho i eat them wrapped in salami or mortadella....
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 507 Member
    1. Fat Free Greek Yogurt: half cup is about 60 cals. If you do a half cup then add an entire chopped up nectarine (or any fruit), then it will make it a very full bowl for a total of 100-150 cals for approx 10-12 grams of protein.

2. Whole Wheat pasta's have tons of protein, but unfortunately tons of carbs and cals as well.

3. Various kinds of beans (red, white, black, navy ,pinto, etc)

4. Lentils

5. The protein bar I like is Pure Protein. Its got sucralose (fake sugar) so if you're against it, its probably not for you... but its 200 cals and 20 grams of protein.

6. Milk, cheese, sour cream, and various dairy.

Hope that helps!
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    GREEK YOGURT!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Ive been tryin to get more protein too. A trainer at my gym told me about carb check(with a check mark) bagels that have 14 grams of protein. I love getting protein when i think im just getting carbs. LOL
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    bump
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Jay Robb and GNC (the low carb kind is the one I've tried) mix really well with almond milk, which is what I mix them with. They're not powdery or nasty tasting at all! Also they're around 110 calories for 25grams of protein with few carbs and little sugar. As for real food, I like low fat cottage cheese, roughly 12g protein in 90 calories, egg beaters- 6g protein for 30 cals, greek yogurt- 12+ grams for 100-150 cals, and I love making wraps with tuna and light laughing cow cheese. I don't really like regular tuna salad, so I just mix the tuna with the cheese...sooooo good, filling, and around 25g protein.
  • tameko2
    Is THAT why you all eat that greek yogurt? I got one to try, that stuff is NASTY. I'd rather eat protein powder.

I'm gonna look for those bagels sonchie, that sounds good.

Thanks for the reminder about tuna guys, I forgot about it entirely.

Does anyone have a recommended way for cooking beans besides the standard cumin-salt-pepper-garlic-onion? Something I can make on the weekend and keep in the fridge?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    My dinner tonight was 60 grams of protein. A chicken breast with ranch and those real bacon pieces (got a recipe of the MFP board), black beans with more bacon pieces (bacon makes everything better!), spinach with light blue cheese (I could have put more bacon on that but I refrained).
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Is THAT why you all eat that greek yogurt? I got one to try, that stuff is NASTY. I'd rather eat protein powder.

I'm gonna look for those bagels sonchie, that sounds good.

Thanks for the reminder about tuna guys, I forgot about it entirely.

Does anyone have a recommended way for cooking beans besides the standard cumin-salt-pepper-garlic-onion? Something I can make on the weekend and keep in the fridge?

I used to hate greek yogurt too but it grew on me and now I love it. Its a little tart tasting at first but it helps to add some granola or fruit to sweeten it up. My fav brand is chobani.....love that stuff.
  • tameko2
    I got the chobani black cherry. it was icky to me - all chalky and thick. I like real yogurt a lot - like the homemade kind or at least the clean tart kind. The greek yogurt tastes processed and artificially sweetened to me and the texture is just awful.
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    have you tried hummus? You can make it yourself from chick peas aka garbanzo beans.
  • ammient3
    ammient3 Posts: 82 Member
    I put the Plain Dannon Greek Yogurt in my smoothies, The fresh fruit hides the taste... So worth it!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    I didnt like the greek yogurt the first time i bought it but then I got the plain and sweetened it to my liking with stevia or splenda and then added my fruit, honey, nuts, ground flaxseed, etc. Maybe not all at once but depending on how I feel that day! I also use it to make ranch dip for veggies.
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Try quinoa. Very high in protein and there is so much you can do with it. I love it!