How much more water should I drink if I exercise?

Options
Does the water I drank during exercise/workout count towards my daily 8 glasses? I drank 3 large water bottleswhile playing tennis today (which equals a total of about 6 cups) but wasn't sure if they should count towards my daily target since I obviously needed them and was sweating buckets while playing. Should I be adding more water to my daily target on the days that I am exercising? Or does my daily 8 cover me for fluid lost while exercising?

Replies

• kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    Nope. You need 8 glasses of water per day if you were just sitting around not doing anything. If you exercise you should add more, that's for sure. As for how much, I don't know. I'm sure you can google it or something or maybe someone on here may tell you. But the 8 glasses is not enough if you "sweat buckets" while working out. DRINK DRINK DRINK!! :)
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I don't pay attention to targets or anything. I just drink a lot of water! I always have a big glass of water next to me, and when I leave the house I always bring my handy 32-oz water bottle.

So drink a ton when you are thirsty, like after working out. And then drink a lot all the rest of the time, too, and you'll be fine.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I add what I drank while working out and then i drink more. I try to get at least 10 glasses a day (even though I suck at logging it) I get a lot more on hard workout days, sometimes up to 20.
  • Shaylala
    Shaylala Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think they should count! Drink when you are thirsty and if you feel you shouldn't while exercising, then just drink a little more for the day. Great workout! Keep hydrated!
  • Keyelolivia22
    Keyelolivia22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should try to drink half of your body weight in ounces each day, especially if you're working out!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Does the water I drank during exercise/workout count towards my daily 8 glasses? I drank 3 large water bottleswhile playing tennis today (which equals a total of about 6 cups) but wasn't sure if they should count towards my daily target since I obviously needed them and was sweating buckets while playing. Should I be adding more water to my daily target on the days that I am exercising? Or does my daily 8 cover me for fluid lost while exercising?
    Consensus usually is drink the amount of water in oz equal to half your body weight in pounds. So if you weigh 150lbs, drink 75oz. If you weigh 200lbs, drink 100 oz.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give an exact number of how much additional water you should drink to replace water lost when you exercise. It all depends on how much you sweat and how much additional you expel through respiration. The easiest way to know if you're getting enough is the color of your urine. It should be light to colorless when you are fully hydrated. I'd recommend using that to gauge if you need to add more water to you intake.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 1l of water when I work out - I don't log this. The water I log is the water I drink outside of working out.... although sometimes I forget! I also drink herbal tea and may forget to log this but usually only a few per day