back to school

Options
I am a teacher I am returning to school tomorrow. I have done so good so far, losing 21 pounds this summer and I don't want to ruin anything. Right now I am pretty stuck. I have been hovering between 179 and 181 for 2 or 3 weeks now. I am afraid returning to school is going to hinder my progress. I need some real ideas for things I can have on hand at work to snack on. I have a mini fridge, but the microwave is down the hall and I can't leave middle school kids to use it. I will have breakfast at home and I will pack leftovers or something from home for lunch. But breakfast will be at 5 and lunch at 11:30. I will have to eat something in between. Easy ideas appreciated!

Replies

• Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Pack lots of baggies of fruits and veggies to stick in the fridge! Baby carrots, tomatoes etc.. You can also put some cottage cheese in there, very filling!
  • KarenHarper71
    Options
    A good selection of foods below that you could nibble on that use more calories to diest than the amount of calories in each item....good luck xx

List of foods with Negative Calories

Negative calorie vegetables Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip, etc.
    Negative calorie fruits Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    A low calorie yogurt fills me up. Since you have a classroom with a fridge....you can keep fresh veggies.....yogurt etc. Keep in a cabinet some special K cracker chips, or special K multi grain crackers....just to have a bite or two here or there.....but some people may blast that because they say fresh fruits and vegetables are the way to go. I agree....but, sometimes, I would just like to eat something else. ; )
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Pack lots of baggies of fruits and veggies to stick in the fridge! Baby carrots, tomatoes etc.. You can also put some cottage cheese in there, very filling!

This is a good choice. When I student taught I would also make my own granola bars to bring. That held me over until lunch.
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    almonds....bottle of water on your desk...I'm a teacher, too--my daughter makes a breakfast muffin that I am going to take for "second breakfast." It includes rice, beans, cheese, salsa, eggs....send me a message if you would like the recipe. It is easy and easily adapted to suit your tastes.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    A low calorie yogurt fills me up. Since you have a classroom with a fridge....you can keep fresh veggies.....yogurt etc. Keep in a cabinet some special K cracker chips, or special K multi grain crackers....just to have a bite or two here or there.....but some people may blast that because they say fresh fruits and vegetables are the way to go. I agree....but, sometimes, I would just like to eat something else. ; )

I agree that way you cover all the bases something fruity, and like you said sometimes you just want to eat something else but be in your calorie range and fruit and veggies dont cut you may need a bit of chocolate like maybe a fiber one bar or like the special K chips-- I also am heading back to work after a long great summer and doing good my worry is finding the time to exercise because Ill be starting back to work and school
  • charelaine
    charelaine Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There are some good ideas here. I appreciate the negative calorie foods...news to me! I agree finding time to exercise will be rough. I am also working on my Master's degree and I have to force myself to go workout. It will take me several weeks to establish a new routine that incorporates it all, but I will do it!
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher with first day tomorrow, too. I well know that starving feeling that hits around 9:00 from which a baggie of carrots (as much as I love them) will remove the edge. I'm considering packing a mini whole wheat sandwich with meat & veggies for that time. What I may do is make a whole sandwich, but pack it in 2 mini ziplocks, so I also have a substantial snack with protein for 3 which is also a bad time for me.

I want to add that many times in the past has found me scarfing my lunch at 9 or 10 if it didn't need to be heated & then starving eating junk at lunch because the intended food was gone.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I love the chocolate almonds that (I think) Emerald puts out. They are awesome!! If you ever want something sweet, Skinny Cow has put out some awesome 120 cal packs of little chocolate clusters. They are sooo good! I can't keep my husband out of them (and he doesn't need to lose!!). Guess I need to hide my box ;)
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too, and every morning between breakfast at 6 and lunch at noon, I have an ounce of Cabot 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese and 6 Reduced Fat Triscuits. It's really tasty and filling and I never get sick of it. I also drink a lot of water and green tea throughout the day.

Good luck! I start soon and I feel nervous about the change in routine too.