Starting Over--The Villages, FL

Options
Hi there,

Starting on August 1st I jumped back on the weight loss wagon. . .only to have tweaked my back doing something! But. . .that has not deterred me from eating healthy, just can't jump into the exercise routine like I had hoped. I have tracked everything that I am eating and that really seems to help me get a handle on calorie control. I will weigh in tomorrow and am hoping for the scale to be my friend.
I would love to find some friends for support and motivation. Anyone else that lives in The Villages on here? It would be nice to have someone else that understands that the over 55 body just doesn't burn calories like it used to. :o)

~Marilyn

Replies

• kassyboivin
    Options
    I live in The Villages! Too funny. I've only been on myfitnesspal for 2 days, but I think i'm going to really like using it. All of the other calorie counting apps/websites can never find the foods i'm eating! Do you play a lot of golf here? Nice to meet you! -Kassy
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    good luck on your journey---I have an over 47-year-old-body - :) LOL. Its been pretty nice to me lately I must admit. My mother lives in Leesburg and I have been to the Villages many times enjoying cheap margaritas and live entertainment----someday, maybe will retire there yet.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal! :happy:
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Hey neighbors, I live in Eustis.

Good luck on your success!
  • marilyn07
    marilyn07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Kassy,

Nice to meet you too! I play golf usually a couple times a week, but not as much since it has been so hot lately. I am fairly new to the game since we moved here a year ago. Our neighborhood has a ladies group that plays every Friday morning and then I will go out with other friends too. We love living here! But have to admit that all the eating & socializing has added on some extra pounds. We are just having too much fun!

~Marilyn
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I don't live in Fla but I'm 55. I've always had a weight prob so it's always been easier for me to gain than lose but now I find the exercise FAR more challenging and the lbs more stubborn - I guess they found & home & like it LOL
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I think you'll really love it here!

I just saw The Villages featured on CBS Sunday Morning today! How funny!
  • GLORIAGEAN
    GLORIAGEAN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don;t live in the Villages, but understand about the body not responding as well as we get older. I am 67 and have been on the program since July 3, 2011 and have lost 9 lbs. so far. It is a good program, just hang in there and good luck to you.
  • dwbevan
    dwbevan Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Marilyn,

I am brand new to this sight, but have the same over 55 problem, actually it is just over 60 now. The things I used to do just don't seem to work! We are snowbirds to The Villages and will be arriving in mid-Sept.. When we were there this spring I began to golf - I would not say that I am a "golfer" , but I plan to continue playing when I come back and get some instruction. I also did Walk Away the lbs pretty consistently at FishHawk and also Water Aerobics at Lake Miona. I am continuing the Walk Away while back north, but not as motivated. For me the support of others helps and physical activity definitely. I hope we can support each other and maybe encourage each other on those days when it is tougher than usual.

Debbie
  • dwbevan
    dwbevan Posts: 2
    Options
    Gotta love those golf carts!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I get lots of motivation on this site. I pretty much have to live-and-breathe weight loss and fitness in order to lose weight at our age. I don't live in the Villages, but I would love to! I'm stuck in California right now but my son is in Miami and my brother is in St. Petersburg, so I think Florida is in my future. Sending a friend request.