Dinner at a friend's

Options
We went to our best friends' home for dinner last night and wow was it difficult to stay on track.

Appetizers and snacks out all over, the wine was flowing, desserts galore.

Luckily I was in charge of bringing salad, so I could focus on Ceasar Salad (my own healthy version) .

Everyone just kept asking if I needed a glass of wine, and trying to hand me a dessert plate etc.

Regardless of what diet/workout program I was on in the past, I gave in and had drinks and eats with my friends.

With my new life goals, I just can't allow myself to slip so far in one night. Does it ever get easier? I think my friends think I'm insane.

I got a lot of "Oh, your pregnant so your not drinking?"

Anyone else run into this?

Replies

• kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i know exactly how you feel. I do alot of church potlucks, ladies luncheons, birthdays you name it. We even have a once a month dessert potluck. I ALWAYS bring either fresh fruit (melon, strawberries ect.) or a green salad. That way i know there is something i can fill up on.
    Luckily for me, none of my friends drink alcohol, so that's not a issue. I do tote along a 100 cal pack of something. Because i don't indulge in the desserts. You can always say, that you think you might be sensitive to gluten, so you're staying away from it.
    Gluten is in most any dessert.
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i just say i'm not pregnant, its just a fat belly!! then they try to back track :wink: Its hard to stay on track when your friends and family try to entice you over to the dark side. Stick with it and soon you'll be a healthy, slender version of yourself and proud that you resisted all that temptation.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    happened to me last night. I did okay with the meal...focused on the protein...there were lots of pasta salads. I had a taste of a few. I also indulged in wine. I also had a cookie. My problem was the chips and dips. I think there were about 6-8 different kinds. I totally over did it.

However, it was fun, and it was one night. Today, back on track. I find that this works for me-because it is about the rest of my life, I'm not going to skip all the parties or say no to all the yummy foods every day. That would make me miserable. I don't want to be healthy and miserable. I want to be healthy and happy.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I found that once I'd been on track awhile that I could just have ONE glass of wine, or a SMALL piece of cake etc and not fall off track, heck if I plan ahead I can fit it into my normal calories and for sure into maintenance calories.

Also my friends stopped asking after I said no thank you after awhile because they knew I was sticking to my guns. No one really cares if you don't eat dessert.
  • CaseyKay1980
    CaseyKay1980 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! I went to dinner at my friend's house the other night and totally overindulged! I started off well and then my friend said "you better be eating more than that." I ended up putting more food on my plate and when I logged the calories that I ate when I got home it was horrible! I am trying to get back on track, but once I fall off the wagon it seems impossible to get back on. There are so many sabotagers in my life. I am hoping that it gets easier and that friends and family can repsect that I really need to lose the weight.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am stuck on your healthy version of a Caesar salad.

Share the recipe??? Its my fave!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It does get easier, sort of. You get stronger about saying no :D

Only YOU decide what you put in your body, no one holds a gun to your head, so no matter how many people try you just need to remember that. My mother (who lives with me) is queen of the bringing home bakery and getting mad if it doesn't get eaten, well that's because *I* don't eat that stuff anymore. It's taken her almost a year to figure it out but she's finally not buying it in bulk anymore, I can't control her weight and she doesn't control mine!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am stuck on your healthy version of a Caesar salad.

Share the recipe??? Its my fave!

Well, let me first say, that unlike the majority of folks I see posting, I am not one to have problems keeping my calorie count low. My problem is that I used to eat/drink foods that are unhealthy, and that is where I had problems moderating myself. Now that I have cutout Redbull, Coke, Beer, Martinis, Wine (most of time), and most desserts, I find my calorie intake to be tiny.

My caloric "needs" based on a few different calculators are nearly 2600 (I'm 6'1 210, and burn 500+ calories a day in exercise)
    I usually never break 2000 calories in a day, so please be aware that you may need to cut back on some items here or there if you follow my recipes (or just use better portion control than I would)

The majority of calories in a Ceasar Salad come from the croutons, and the dressing.

So if you love croutons like I do, make your own.

This recipe is similar to what I do.. http://www.path2healthyliving.com/RecipeHealthyCrouton.html

When it comes to dressing, I use a homemade dressing, or if you aren't that adventurous (and what I did last night) buy a fresh Ceasar LIGHT Dressing from the stores refrigerator case, and use a very minimal amount,

To make your own- add mayonnaise (light/fat free), olive oil, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic and water. Whip together until smooth. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.

I also offer cheese in a dish on the side, so folks can add it if they wish, but I have the option to leave it off and keep the fat out of my salad if I don't NEED it that night.

Chicken breast has to be fresh and not pumped full of solutions. Grilled with a touch of pepper

If you are really against the bread croutons, you can add walnuts to the salad for crunch.

No anchovies on my salads, sodium is one thing I am trying to cut out.

Maybe that helps a little!