Scales

Options
So I got on the scale yesterday and it said 146. Today it says 149. What gives? Are scales unreliable? What is the best type of scale? Help please! Surely I didn't gain 3 lbs...I was under my calorie goal yesterday.

Replies

• mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    You shouldn't weigh yourself everysingle day, weigh in once a week. From what you just said, you are probably retaining water.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations. My weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in one day and as much as 5 puonds from day to day. 3 lbs in one day isn't a real gain. Hormones, water retention, sodium, amount of sleep, having had a BM or not, having eaten later than usual -- all those and more can affect your weight and cause fluctuations.

This is why many recommend that you not weigh daily. Those fluctuations can be de-motivating.

I weigh daily, but I've been weighing daily long enough to recognize the differnece between fluctuations and real gains.
  • kimberly130
    Options
    I find that I need to calibrate my scale each day I weigh in. I use a 5lb or 10lb weight. than I weigh myself get off and weigh again to be sure its accurate. the cheap ones are not so good but my friend has an expensive digital and its not so good either.
  • stuhixxy
    Options
    Remember every day you may drink and eat slightly more or less so the scales will reflect that. By which I meant some foods take longer to digest so stay in your system a day or so longer therefore one day you may weight more that the previous, also if like me you drink a lot of water when at work but very little at home, I tend to weigh a little less at the weekend since there is not so much water retained.

Hope this makes sence
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's just so tempting to weigh myself! So scales are pretty much all the same?
  • MissWangle
    Options
    I had the exact same thing last week! I had a gain for 4 lbs in 1 day! I drank lots of water and the next day it was gone! Dont worry babe xx
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It's just so tempting to weigh myself! So scales are pretty much all the same?

No, scales vary widely. And there are some (cheap, old) scales that are very inconsistent and/or inaccurate. But even with the best, most consistent scale, you'll see fluctuations.