Bridesmaid dress dilemma!

Options
Yesterday I was measured for my Bridesmaid dress which I will wear May 2012. We looked at dresses 4 weeks ago and I tried on a uk size 16. I tried the same dress on yesterday and its too loose (nsv). My measurements were taken (37, 29, 42) and the size 14 will fit perfect (38, 30, 42) so that is the dress the Bride has ordered for me.

Now my dilemma is... I still want to lose another stone. Do I.. 1) put my weight loss on hold until after the wedding next year and eat maintenance until then or 2) lose the weight anyway knowing I can pay to have it taken in closer the time?? The one thing I can't do is gain weight as the dress is the perfect fit now.

Would losing another stone really make that much different to my measurements?? The style of the dress is a-line so smaller hips won't be too much of a problem but the dress is strapless but is laced up the back.

Decisions!!

Replies

• LCDMomma
    LCDMomma Posts: 67
    Options
    I would keep doing what you are doing. Lose that weight and then when the wedding comes you can have it re-sized.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'd say go ahead and lose the weight anyway. Don't let the wedding stop you!!! Who cares if you have to get your dress altered. :)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing what you are doing. Lose that weight and then when the wedding comes you can have it re-sized.

Agreed. Think of how great it will feel to need to take it to get altered. ;)
  • MedievalFreak
    Options
    If its a corsette back, then you shouldnt have to worry too much. One of my bridesmaids lost 20lbs from the time she bought her dress, to my wedding day, and it was still fine :) Corsette backs give a lot of wiggle room. So keep goin girl!
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I definitely would keep going. May of next year is quite a ways away and I would not put off losing what I wanted to lose until then. You can have it altered no problem. Keep on doing what you're doing.
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly a stone is equal to 14 pounds in the US. What my bridesmaids are doing is ordering their dresses 6 months before the wedding and if they lose weight in that 6 months then they will pay to have the dress taken in. Their dresses are from David's Bridal so there is a discount if the girl use them to take in the dresses. Get the dress now and just have it taken in if you lose another stone. Good Luck!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    you can always have it altered smaller not the other way around! so I say just keep doing what you're doing and if you have to take it in GREAT!!! :bigsmile:
  • traceywaugh
    Options
    so worse happens dress to big for you you will love it if it needs to be made smaller so go girl x
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Nice to see each and everyone of you agrees with how my mind was working. I can't see it making much different to the dress size. It is a full lace up back (corset style) so fingers crossed it will still fit. If not I will only have to have it taken in one size. :)
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing what you're doing and have the dress taken in later. It may sound mean, but your health and wellness are more important then a bridesmaid dress. Keep up the great work!!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Are you able to return it if it's not been altered? If so, I would order two sizes close to where you think you'll be by then and then see which fits better about a month from the wedding and have that one fitted and return the other one. That's what I did with a swimsuit I bought in April for a July vacation. :)
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    you got to do the weight for you !

its only a dress and if yours needs to be changed or fixed cos you are to small it will not spoil the Big day

STAY ON TARGET
  • RajwaJ
    Options
    Sadly not. Its a designer gown that they order and make especially. The lady at the shop scared the bride last time we went with a story of a bridesmaid who said she would lose two sizes and ended up not fitting into the dress as she had lost no weight at all so the bride had to pay for another dress. She was a bit worried which then stressed me out a bit. I would have preferred just ordering a size 12 but decided to let her order the size 14 as it fits now.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Can you wait a few months until closer to the wedding? Maybe February or so? It seems like ordering them now is a LONG ways ahead of time. If so, you could be more confident that what you order will fit you at the time of the wedding.

My advice....don't let anything derail your attempts to lose weight. You are off to a great start, and you don't want to put your own health on hold for nine months "just" to be a bridesmaid.

Good luck,
    Kaye
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I say continue on your weight loss journey until the wedding is closer. You already know you'll likely have to have it altered, so I'd just put the money aside now knowing it'll happen and continue on with your journey. I think almost a year is just too long to go into maintenance if you still want to lose more weight. Don't put this journey on hold for that long.

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • RajwaJ
    Options
    Its the Brides choice and while she had the money she decided to order them now. They take a minimum of 3 months to make. I think putting some money to one side for adjustments and carrying on my journey is the way to go. I'll just be a slimmer Maid of Honour. ;)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'd keep going and reach your goal, get it altered and rock the hell out of that dress!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Don't put the weight loss on hold. Go ahead with your weight loss and then a couple months before the wedding try it on again and have it altered!
  • Alegria79
    Alegria79 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just went through this last week! My bridesmaid dress was ordered a few months, and about 15 pounds, ago. When I tried it on it was laced all the way closed in the corset back and it was still way too big on top. They pinned it so that it was taken in a couple of inches on each side and I'm picking it up tomorrow. It only cost me about $40 to get done, and if I had shopped around I probably could have found even cheaper places.

I say let them order the dress based on your current measurements (in case you plateau or something), continue on your weight loss journey, and get it taken in if necessary - as close to the wedding as possible!