Anyone else have a wheat sensitivity?

Options
Just curious if there is anyone else out there with a wheat sensitivity and what kind of alternatives they throw in their diet. Im just learning to cut it out but its really hard as its in everything under some code name. Im also lactose intolerant which makes it even harder. Just wondering if anyone has any good links or advice to follow to incorporate it into my diet,

Thanks!

Replies

• jennapoole
    jennapoole Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just curious if there is anyone else out there with a wheat sensitivity and what kind of alternatives they throw in their diet. Im just learning to cut it out but its really hard as its in everything under some code name. Im also lactose intolerant which makes it even harder. Just wondering if anyone has any good links or advice to follow to incorporate it into my diet,

Thanks!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    When I was a child, I used to get violent migraines that would put me into what the doctors described as a semi-coma from wheat. I outgrew it. But now, it wreaks havoc on my bowels making my abdomen swell and in pain, and puts horrible bags underneath my eyes. I'm not a huge rice aeter, but I'm trying to be. I like eating egg noodles if ever I want some pasta. I'm a vegetarian but eat seafood, that limits my diet somewhat also. I'm very fortunate because my husband is always looking for wheat-free recipes that are interesting. Things like portabello mushrooms and eggplant can be very filling. Do you like sweet potatoes? They can be made into some yummy recipes and are supposed to be healthier than white potatoes. Happy eating!
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    You might try a more ancient form of wheat...spelt. I have a wheat sensitivity as well and I find that it doesn't affect me as harshly. You may have to try a few brands of the breads before finding one you like. I enjoy Naturebake, but it's based out of Portland, OR, so unless you're in the area, I don't think it's available.

There are ways to go completely without it. I'm not there yet, but it may be worth it if you aren't in pain anymore!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.celiac.ca/EnglishCCA/ccaenglish.html

Here's a link I use all the time. There's also a page on their website that tells you all the code words wheat can hide under.

Also, check out a blog called "gluten free girl" her peanut butter cookies have saved my sanity a few times. Rice bread is widely available, as are rice pastas.

The good news is the difference in your health really is worth the sacrifice!

Please feel free to PM me if you have more questions.:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenna,
    My son can not have wheat or dairy either. There are some good cookbooks out there that will help you. One bread of bread mix that I really like (breads, pancakes etc) is Kinnikinnick. Refridge breads aren't that good, I don't think anyway. My son eats pretty much anything I put in front of him so it works for us but it might be harder for you since you are used to eating it. Amy's has pizza that is GFCF. Health food have a lot of things too. If I eat too much wheat I get really tired, irritable, bloated. If I am under a lot of stress I can't tolerate milk either, so I can relate. I know it's a book geared towards kids with Autism and ADHD but the Kid Friendly ADHD and Autism cookbook has some great recipes in it that I really enjoy eating. It has been a big help to us. Let me know if I can be of any more help. My son has been GFCF since March so we have a little experience and are still learning. There are a lot of good websites out there too. Celiac recipes can be good if you can substitute the milk with rice milk or soy. Hope this helps!
    MM
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yea, I have celiac sprue. So, I am completely allergic to wheat. There are a lot of websites out there, but the best one I have found for info is http://www.csaceliacs.org. For some snack ideas, rice cakes are a great idea. The snack size ones are good, and the large ones with some peaunut butter are good too. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. :smile:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I don't have celiac disease, but do have a gluten sensitivity. Spelt is not gluten-free, so may not be a good substitute for wheat in your diet, but you can use buckwheat, rice, corn, potato flours, to name a few. There are lots of good GF brands out there, Gluten-Free Pantry, Pamela's, a lot of Bob's Red Mill stuff, a lot of Envirokid's stuff. Oats should also usually be avoided.