Truvia Vs. Stevia

Options
tmarie2715
tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
In an attempt to cut out all artifical sweetner, I got Truvia. I don't like the bitterness of stevia, and I don't want to add 15 cals per teaspoon from sugar, agave, honey, etc.

Is Truvia any less processed than Splenda (my old go-to sweetner)?

Better recommends?

Replies

• maryzcontrary
    Options
    my understanding is that Truvia IS stevia but there is some additive -- nothing as harmful as aspartame, I think, and I certainly prefer the truvia to anything else!
  • mghane
    mghane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Truvia is the same thing as stevia... as in they both use the extract from the stevia plant. Truvia just doesn't have that weird after taste... don't know why, but I prefer it to stevia as well. Both are better than splenda because splenda is just aspartame, which has been linked to cancer, and is just not a natural alternative to sugar. xylitol is also a great alternative to sugar that is just as good. In baking I've also used agave nectar which is like a syrup... agave nectar has a low glycemic index making it safe for even some diabetics. Good luck!
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I made the switch to Truvia from splenda and haven't looked back - love it.
  • jetsetmaven
    jetsetmaven Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've never tried truvia, but the stevia I use has NO after taste. Maybe it's the brand, type and amount being used. I use Naturals Clear Liquid Stevia. No more than 3-4 drops per use. Initially I was using too much and it made my food taste funny, the more I cut back, the sweeter it became.
  • ohpurdysure
    Options
    Truvia gal here.. and tried stevia but its costly.. I love raw honey and Opt to dis beleive the beleif that sugar is sugar... wether it be cane sugar, honey or agave or truvia.. I tend to beleive its how the human body uses that sugar.. and white sugar is bleached and so how can that be good ? if I have to use sugar which I dont much its truvia..
  • tmarie2715
    Options
    Truvia is the same thing as stevia... as in they both use the extract from the stevia plant. Truvia just doesn't have that weird after taste... don't know why, but I prefer it to stevia as well. Both are better than splenda because splenda is just aspartame, which has been linked to cancer, and is just not a natural alternative to sugar. xylitol is also a great alternative to sugar that is just as good. In baking I've also used agave nectar which is like a syrup... agave nectar has a low glycemic index making it safe for even some diabetics. Good luck!

I guess my thinking was in order to remove the weird aftertaste, something chemical (just as you allude) or processing had to be done to the stevia, making it more like aspertame and splenda than the natural, plant derived stevia...

I may grab some of jetsetmaven's suggested liquid stevia, too, just to try it out.

Thanks, all!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Truvia is a processed stevia product marketed by industry giant Cargill.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-truth-on-truvia/

There's no evidence that it isn't safe, but it also isn't as "natural" as they claim. It is altered from its natural form, and at heart, that makes it artificial.
  • tmarie2715
    Options
    I just realized I meant to say, Truvia Vs. Splenda. Whoops.

Rilke, that is just what I was thinking! I guess I'll have to go with pure stevia if I want to be unprocessed... TY!