Is Wii Fit all that?

Options
I found out that I am getting a Wii and Wii fit for Christmas (Amazon left the invoice on top of the wrapped package without an envelope). Is it a good enough workout to quit the gym or is it more just to have fun and supplement regular treadmill workouts? I would love to dump my $50 per month payment to the gym in the New Year but would like to get in some good calorie burning.

Replies

• mamamouse
    Options
    I found out that I am getting a Wii and Wii fit for Christmas (Amazon left the invoice on top of the wrapped package without an envelope). Is it a good enough workout to quit the gym or is it more just to have fun and supplement regular treadmill workouts? I would love to dump my $50 per month payment to the gym in the New Year but would like to get in some good calorie burning.
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    get the december issue of Women's Health. there's a big article in it about Wii Fit and how to make the games more beneficial as a workout!
  • mamamouse
    Options
    Thanks - I will grab that at the Grocery store tomorrow when I pick up my Thanksgiving stuff. Have you done Wii Fit yourself?
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I have done it many many times. I found the jogging is pretty good. That gets your heart pumping if you are doing it right (cause if you just shake the wii-mote up and down with your hand it counts as running haha)... and the hula hoops made my abs really really sore... I did A LOT! tried to beat many many goals. The yoga is good too.. though the only prob I have with it is that you do one move and then stop... its not switching from one to the next. Strength is good too. I enjoy it... I wouldnt really count it as "real" exercise... But im sure if you can burn a few extra cals with it... go for it! I really only use it to set goals and as a scale hahaha Pretty expensive scale if you ask me :tongue: Its always fun to compete with family too.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I love it! I just quit my gym membership because it was easier to exercise at home with my wii. I like the running also. My routine usually is Yoga for 15 to 20 minutes (I choose the top row plus one pose for the shorter time and for a longer time it suggests Strength Training exercises to pair with the yoga pose, so I will do that for a longer time) then if I wanted I have the other poses for more time... THEN I do super hoola hoop (first one direction then the other... but you have to try the regular first to unlock the super), Then I will Jog for 30 minutes... all of this if you try to get the best score and do them properly is definately a workout.

I also got the Fitness Ultimatum 2009 game to supplement .
  • mamamouse
    Options
    I also saw that Jillian from the Biggest Loser has a workout game for the Wii and was curious about that. Has anyone tried it? I think I will overlap my gym membership and Wii for January and decide if I should quit the gym. It would be nice to spend longer working out and less time driving back and forth. Does the Wii estimate burned calories or how do you do that for this website?
  • psantacruz
    psantacruz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The Wii Fit is a great tool. For me, it served as a kick starter. I use it in conjunction with other forms of exercise, but it's great if you are just starting out.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    I think Wii fit has some great benefits. You would be suprised the workout you can get from the wii fit. It will never replace all the excersise needs you might have, but it's a great addition to any healthy lifestyle. especially on those busy days when you get out of work late and don't have much time. today I got home from work late. Ate a good healthy dinner with the family. Put the kids to bed. Looked at the clock and asked...."Where has the time gone." SO I got out my Wii fit and went for a quick 15 minuete jog and used the free step for thirty minuetes while my wife watched her show. All in all it came in handy today. Not to mention the scale function and graphs to track your progress are a great motivator. Totally worth it.
  • psantacruz
    psantacruz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Spyguys raised a great point. You can do the 10, 20, 30 minute free runs/steps while watching TV, which makes the time go faster. Just remember to keep up the intensity.