Gluten and headaches

Options
When I started changing my diet to include mainly veggies, fruit and lean meats, I noticed the amount of headaches I was having decreased. I just thought it was due to eating healthier and my increased water consumption, however I started examining my food diaries when I did get headaches and it seems I have always had some form of gluten the day of or the day before the headache.

My mother had frequent migraines, and I used to average 2 or 3 a month myself before I changed my diet. Does anyone know if Gluten can be causing or contributing to headaches? I will ask the same question to my doctor but I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this or knows any information about it.

Thanks,

Kara

Replies

• Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yes, a sensitivity to gluten can cause headaches. My daughter went gluten free, her migraines stopped, her IBS went away and she lost 60lbs without watching what she eats (except for the gluten part :smile:) Do your research, there is gluten in so many things you wouldn't expect, especially condiments. Everyone wants to know how she gave up bread, she simply uses lettuce leaves instead.
    Good luck!
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yes - gluten can cause headaches if you're sensitive (not everyone is).

My husband has many, many health issues. His doctor just put him on a diet that removes most of the foods that people tend to be sensitive to. This will let any inflammation in his digestive tract heal - and then we will start adding foods back one at a time to see if he has a reaction. A reaction can be headache, brain fog, tiredness, lethargy, bowel or stomach upset, gas or bloating - anything "bad" or different.

These are the foods we're eliminating: ALL grains, nuts, processed foods, canned foods, sugars (except low-glycemic fruits), dairy, soy, alcohol and lectins. Lectin-containing foods include: grains, legumes, dairy and nightshades. Nightshades include: potatoes, tomatoes, all peppers (except black pepper), eggplant and pimentos. Nightshades contain a chemical called solanine that some people are very sensitive to. Solanine is also found in blueberries, okra and artichokes.

So, what we're left with is low-glycemic fruits, most veggies (the ones not listed above), low-fat meats, fermented foods, coconut and olives.

Maybe more than you wanted to know, but I find it all very fascinating!! :D Good luck to you.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I already do the lettuce leaf wraps...instead of buns....love it!