Funny looks when buying healthy food...

2»

Replies

• calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    I think it look strange when I buy groceries for myself and my boyfriend. So there will be kale, avocados, tomatoes, lean protein, and granola (my stuff) and then... Lunchables, mayonnaise, sugary yoghurt, soda, ground beef, crisps (his).

I'm somewhat slight (now). A man behind me once mused "Do you really eat that stuff?" when I was loading my boyfriend's groceries onto the belt. I doubt cashier's even notice; I don't notice things like that.

I used to work at tesco. I always used to pay attention to what people bought, it made my day go quicker! When someone came along buying healthy food It used to make my day-it was so refreshing to see!
    Maybe I'm just in my own head too much. :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Nah. Now that i am looking good they are getting ideas on what a healthy person eats. I check out the NI and talk out load about it to my fiance. Others need to start noticing what they are eating and feeding their kids.
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    Sort of. I'll have a cart full of healthy things and I'll run into someone I know that sits on their a** all day and just eats cheese burgers and fries and deep fat fried foods (a particular person comes to mind.) They're severely over weight, and completely inactive.... and they look into my cart and say something like 'You've got all that skinny minnie food in your cart." And then look me up and down (Yes, I'm a healthy weight) and then say something along the lines of "Guess I'll never be skinny if thats how I have to eat!"
    Whats wrong with fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains? Ugh.

Or I go to subway (or jimmie johns) with friends and they order meatball subs or the pastrami numbers or whatever and a bag of lays and a pepsi... and I get the turkey with no cheese, load up the veggies and some honey mustard, get baked chips & a diet pepsi (FYI, HATE regular soda, have for as long as I can remember.) THAT gets me so much *kitten* because, you know, how can it POSSIBLY taste good? (I could eat a whole bag of baked BBQ lays I swear lol.)

When stuff like that happens I just keep reminding myself that someday, if I get hurt... or pregnant.. or sick... and I'm aid up for a while, my body won't gain weight the way that theirs will if it happens to them.
    :] In the end the flack is worth it!

Be strong, lady. Don't let the skinny thing behind the counter get to you, she probably hasn't eaten a healthy meal in her life and some day that'll catch up to her!
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    I would rather them see a bunch of healthy stuff than a bunch of junk!!! Great job!!!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    I only ever felt like people were judging me when I was buying unhealthy stuff, like "look at the fatty with the ice cream and chips". Now I don't buy that stuff, and I don't feel like anyone's judging my cart.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I have to say that the cashiers - the older ones, at least - will often comment how refreshing it is to see someone buying fresh, wholesome food!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    i work in a supermarket doing that very job and ive been doing it a LONG time. We really dont even notice what your buying because we see so much food going through all day we are really bored with it all.We really like to be distracted from the monotony of it all and like to make pleasant chit chat with anyone who will oblige just to get rid of the endless drudge of it all.So please we really are not judging you I think this might be down to you lacking confidence with yourself just remember you ARE doing something about the problem
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    I wouldn't think twice about what the girl behind the counter is thinking or when you bump into someone. You're eating clean for yourself. That's all that matters.

I used to be self-conscious about what my friends and other people thought about my food choices and picky-ness at restaurants and then they started paying attention to my choices because they really WANTED to know what I was eating and would ask me for advice about how they could lose weight when they were at the gym 24/7 and weren't seeing results.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Reminds me of my trip to tesco last week when I was looking at the pizza isle and a random man said said to me 'not good for the figure love'.

I felt like punching him!

haha that's f'ed up.. I would have just commented out loud about his cart and walked right down the aisle.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Sort of. I'll have a cart full of healthy things and I'll run into someone I know that sits on their a** all day and just eats cheese burgers and fries and deep fat fried foods (a particular person comes to mind.) They're severely over weight, and completely inactive.... and they look into my cart and say something like 'You've got all that skinny minnie food in your cart." And then look me up and down (Yes, I'm a healthy weight) and then say something along the lines of "Guess I'll never be skinny if thats how I have to eat!"
    Whats wrong with fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains? Ugh.

Or I go to subway (or jimmie johns) with friends and they order meatball subs or the pastrami numbers or whatever and a bag of lays and a pepsi... and I get the turkey with no cheese, load up the veggies and some honey mustard, get baked chips & a diet pepsi (FYI, HATE regular soda, have for as long as I can remember.) THAT gets me so much *kitten* because, you know, how can it POSSIBLY taste good? (I could eat a whole bag of baked BBQ lays I swear lol.)

When stuff like that happens I just keep reminding myself that someday, if I get hurt... or pregnant.. or sick... and I'm aid up for a while, my body won't gain weight the way that theirs will if it happens to them.
    :] In the end the flack is worth it!

Be strong, lady. Don't let the skinny thing behind the counter get to you, she probably hasn't eaten a healthy meal in her life and some day that'll catch up to her!

I'm the same way. I will drink my diet soda too. Even when I wasn't trying to lose weight I would drink diet soda over regular. It's the taste I like and the other stuff is too sweet for me.
  • RoseBlanc
    i work in a supermarket doing that very job and ive been doing it a LONG time. We really dont even notice what your buying because we see so much food going through all day we are really bored with it all.We really like to be distracted from the monotony of it all and like to make pleasant chit chat with anyone who will oblige just to get rid of the endless drudge of it all.So please we really are not judging you I think this might be down to you lacking confidence with yourself just remember you ARE doing something about the problem

Eh, you may be the majority but there are exceptions.
    I made a grocery run and bought bananas, some Amy's frozen stuff, kashi cereal, soy milk,veggies, whole grain bread, and greek yogurt- and the lady behind the counter goes "You're buying all this healthy food but you're not buying organic bananas? If theres ONE thing I buy organic it's always my bananas!"
    I was speechless. Didn't know how to take it, or what to say. So I just shrugged and smiled.
  • RoseBlanc
    I'm the same way. I will drink my diet soda too. Even when I wasn't trying to lose weight I would drink diet soda over regular. It's the taste I like and the other stuff is too sweet for me.

And the icky taste regular leaves in your mouth. Ew.
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    lindsey_mickeyd Posts: 101 Member
    Oh and what about when you order food? I know for a fact that I used to judge fat people for ordering massive amounts of food when they'd go through my drive through at Steak N Shake when I worked there. I would NEVER say anything to them of course, but I couldn't help thinking, "You know this stuff's probably gonna kill you one day right?" Or something like that.
  • I always feel a little funny when I am buying something new, and I stand there comparing the nutrition labels for like 5 minutes. I feel as though people are judging me just the same. I just have to remember it's probably all in my head!

I would kill for your abs (slightly off subject I know!)

Oh my, thanks! :):)
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Ha ha, I'm glad I read a thread earlier on the different words used on different continents! I'm in the U.S., so these are unusual for me.

Crisps: European for "cookies"

Pasties: European for dough filled with meat, cheese or the like. Not sure we have a food equivilent of "Pasties". . . . but if you go to a local strip club in some more conservative towns you'll see a generous number of these. Two per woman. . .if you get my meaning :laugh:

I knew what crisps were, but had never heard of pasties. (Or maybe I have...don't they have "pumpkin pasties" in Harry Potter?) But anyway - a meat and cheese pastie sounds delicious!

I love English biscuits...luckily, my family shops at a military commissary, so they have a lot of food from all over the world and I LOVE buying stuff from other countries.