Low Fat Chicken Recipe Ideas?

Options
Hey, I'm relatively new to cooking, and I was wondering if anyone could share some easy, healthy low-fat chicken recipes to help me get started. I'm trying to slowly limit my consumption of red meat, so I'll be cooking a lot of chicken as well as turkey. Any ideas are appreciated!

Replies

• AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I made this today, and it was delicious:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/lemon_chicken_stir_fry.html

The Eating Well website in general has some great, healthy recipes.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Some people on here turned me on to the crockpot chicken & salsa..

throw a couple of boneless skinless chicken breasts in a crockpot, pour a jar of salsa on top (& a splash of water)
    let it sit on low for 6 hours or until you think it's done..

it was excellent & very low fat!!
  • maxamilliond
    Options
    make a chicken wrap with lots of fresh veggies!!
  • Erica1965
    Options
    I buy a lot of different flavored marinades, and marinade breasts or cutlets for 2 days (cook em in the marinade). I eat a lot of chicken but it's always a different flavor so it's not boring. Then just add your veggies and whatever. :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast + rubbed with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and thyme or oregano
    Throw it on the grill or bake in the oven. Delicious. Even better if you brine the breasts first.

Pair it with a quality carb like sweet potato or brown rice, and some nice green veggies.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I prefer the chicken tenderloins than the breast. Today, I made chicken tacos with lots of veggies.

Chicken tenderloins, seasoned with Mrs. Dash table blend..pan fried with a little bit of oil. In a separate pan, warm up corn tortillas (a lot healthier than flour tortillas). Add the chicken (diced), lettuce, green peppers and light sour cream (shredded cheese and tomato optional).
  • IrishCloud
    Options
    Hi , Here is an easy one for you.....Grill or steam 1 breast of chicken . when cooked fully chop up in to bits.
    wash and chop up what ever salad you like, mix up chicken and salad
    together and add a few drops of olive oil .Keep in fridge till ready to eat.

There you go .....yummy for your tummy :-)
    If you want to stay away from bread, dark rye is nice and crunchy to have with your food.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast covered with a low fat mozzarella topped with a tomato slice and seasoned with basil.
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm making chicken and kale soup right now. Google it and any other cravings you may desire. Another of my favorites is chicken with black beans and brown rice: http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-with-black-beans-and-rice-21768

I skip the pimientos and it is one of the best dishes ever!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    nancysrecipebox.blogspot.com
    www.skinnytaste.com

Check these sites out!
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I make chicken burritos. You just take a couple chicken breasts (or thighs for that matter) and cut them up into bite-sized pieces and cook them on the stove with taco seasoning, onions, and salsa or low sodium canned tomatoes. Then get a tortilla (I usually use low carb whole wheat) and some low fat cheese with green chili if you want. It's about 200-300 calories this way with a little bit of everything (carbs/proteins) and you can add rice, quinoa, and/or beans or fajita mix (peppers) for more flavor and very little additional calories.
    And I'm a HUGE fan of just grilling a couple chicken breasts with a flavorful seasoning and having one with veggies for dinner and one (or 1/2 of one) on a nice spring salad the next day. You can try some of the marinades for different flavors...
    I hope this helps. And now I'm hungry... ;)
    Sandi
  • vnt95
    vnt95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to healthy and delicious recipes, I made it to have the chicken one...

http://www.youtube.com/user/leanbodylifestyle#p/u/7/of0MZW_yjvU
  • orcocan
    orcocan Posts: 2
    Options
    if you're short in time, toss a couple of chicken breast fillets into a microwave safe bowl, season as you please (rosemary, pepper, thyme...), pour skim milk to cover the meat (you can dilute with water as well), cover and microwave for 4/6 mins depending on weight and thickness of the meat et voila', the meat remains really tender and it's the quickest way to cook chicken I know of...

you can prepare sandwiches (brown bread, low fat mayo, some veggies, really yummy), or just eat with a salad, salsa, whatever...
  • kimmay_xx
    Options
    Thanks I think I'll try that tomorrow :)
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I'm interested what people will reply with.

My suggestion for a novice at cooking:

Get Boneless Skinless chicken breasts and some ziploc steambags...Wash chicken, sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning or mrs dash or something..put in steambags and microwave accordingly...

Tasty...Delicious...and EASY!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My favorite:

Buy split chicken breast. Put it in the crock pot with a can of chicken broth and cook on low for 3-4 hours (mine took almost 3 and a half) and then take it out and shred it. Then I take 2 cups fresh spinach, 1/8 cup shredded cheese, 2tbsp light dressing and 3-4oz of the shredded chicken. Its awesome and very filling!
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Need some ideas too...:smile:
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Simple simple simple

Cut up chicken
    Leftover veggies (broccoli, zucchini, onion)
    Lo fat mozz cheese
    2 whole wheat tortillas
    Olive oil cooking spray

Spray one side of a tortilla and place that sprayed side down in fry pan. Add shredded chicken or turkey and any kind of leftover veggies. Sprinkle lo fat shredded mozz cheese and top with 2nd tortilla. Spray top of that tortilla. Cook till bottom is crispy and then flip. Yummy - One Pan - Simple
  • bevhols
    bevhols Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump! So many great ideas ... definitely need to keep track of this post!