A calorie is a calorie is a calorie?

Options
k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
Lets say for the purpose of this debate that the 2 people in this discussion are supposed to eat 1200 calories a day. One of them decides to eat two 200 calorie candy bars for 3 meals a day every day. The other eats 3 well balanced meals incorperating all of the food groups properly and does not go over 1200 calories for the day. This goes on for a month straight.

Are the 2 the same? They are both staying strict to their 1200 calorie limit. I had a discussion about this with someone and I definitely have my own opinion on it. I will save my opinion untill later because I want to see what others think. Please explain a little about why you think what you do about this. Thank you.

*Added*
My opinion is as a matter of losing weight, sure they are the same. As a matter of health, they are polar opposite. A person cannot sustain them selves eating nothing but candy bars. Eventually, there would be so many other health issues that their weight would be the least of their concerns.

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think that they both could lose weight strictly from a calorie stand point, but nutritionally the candy bar person will eventually suffer deficiency in vitamins and nutrients, and will end up sick at some point and due to the poor quality food choice.

so NO they are not the same.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I think they might both lose weight, but the condition of the candy bar eater's body will not be as good as the healthy eater.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day; a calorie is a measure of energy. Our bodies derive calories from protein, carbohydrates, sugars and fats.

The person eating the candybars is opting to get her calories in a super-dense FAT format. This will digest; but she's going to have a very rough time controlling her appetite about 2 hours after the sugar rush hits. Candy bars make you ravenously hungry (as do donuts and pastries); while proteins do not. The reason this method eventually fails; is because the foods being eaten do no suppress appetite; they multiply it.

Eat some scrambled eggs for breakfast, maybe some bacon - and you are not hungry 2 hours later. But, instead of bacon and eggs; grab some Krispy Kreme donuts - and by 10am; you will be starving!! Much more so than if you had skipped breakfast all together.

So, energy-wise; they are the same. But, how your body reacts to the different energy sources (fat, carb, sugar and protein) is vastly different.
  • vulrich93
    Options
    A calorie IS a calorie, no matter where it comes from. I think that if the situation you stated above were to occur, both people would lose weight, since losing weight is all about calorie reduction. The difference would only be in how the two people feel physically and mentally. The person eating candy-bars all day would get high blood sugars, then plummet to a low and feel like crap. They would probably feel hungry most of the time, and their energy would decrease. The person eating the well-balanced diet would feel better, healthier, more energetic & thus able to maintain their weight over a long period of time.

A calorie is a calorie, and both situations would allow you to lose weight, but I think the difference is how each subject feels physically/mentally and if they can maintain their weight loss or not.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, better way to describe this.

Instead of calories; let's use BTU's.

A log fireplace will generate 'X' BTU's over the course of a night.
    A couple gallons of gasoline can generate the same energy (BTU's) over the course of several hours driving
    TNT can release the same number of BTU - in a fraction of a second.

All three can release the equal amount of energy - but the nature of the release is vastly different. Same thing with Protein, Fat, Sugar and Carbs.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    the person eating the candy bar will burn lean body mass(muscles) along with fat and in the end may lose weight but will do so with a high bodyfat percentage and will be, as referred to in gym circles, as skinny fat. this is just as unhealthy as being obese. a high body fat percentage leaves fat around vital organs. a person eating clean, with proper nutrition and macro nutrients will burn much more fat than lean body mass and will not only lose weight but will also reduce her body fat percentage. at the end of the day it is not your weight that determines your healthy but your body fat percentage.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    as far as losing weight is concered..yes they are the same.

you can eat only twinkies everyday and lose weight.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, better way to describe this.

Instead of calories; let's use BTU's.

A log fireplace will generate 'X' BTU's over the course of a night.
    A couple gallons of gasoline can generate the same energy (BTU's) over the course of several hours driving
    TNT can release the same number of BTU - in a fraction of a second.

All three can release the equal amount of energy - but the nature of the release is vastly different. Same thing with Protein, Fat, Sugar and Carbs.

Peat and wood will both burn in your fireplace, but peat will stink up your cabin. lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Depends on the candy bars. A Snickers bar with peanuts will be healthier than, say... a Three Musketeers. Just a little. :wink:
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    They aren't the same. One is nutritionally dense and the candy bars only option is not. The candy bar person will lose weight, including muscle mass, while building up visceral fat that you cannot see around arteries and internal organs. The nutritionally balanced eater will lose weight, decrease body fat, and lower risks for cancer, heart attack, and stroke.

So- sure the person can eat 1200 cals of candy bars... but in 20 years when they are dead and I'm still kicking butt and taking names... I'll say "I told you so" at their funeral.

Harsh but true!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    as far as losing weight is concered..yes they are the same.

you can eat only twinkies everyday and lose weight.

But you'd likely keel over a lot sooner LOL!!!
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    At the end of the day; a calorie is a measure of energy. Our bodies derive calories from protein, carbohydrates, sugars and fats.

The person eating the candybars is opting to get her calories in a super-dense FAT format. This will digest; but she's going to have a very rough time controlling her appetite about 2 hours after the sugar rush hits. Candy bars make you ravenously hungry (as do donuts and pastries); while proteins do not. The reason this method eventually fails; is because the foods being eaten do no suppress appetite; they multiply it.

Eat some scrambled eggs for breakfast, maybe some bacon - and you are not hungry 2 hours later. But, instead of bacon and eggs; grab some Krispy Kreme donuts - and by 10am; you will be starving!! Much more so than if you had skipped breakfast all together.

So, energy-wise; they are the same. But, how your body reacts to the different energy sources (fat, carb, sugar and protein) is vastly different.

What he said!!!!!!!! X40
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are the same in terms of fat storage. At least not according to Dr. Robert Lustig. I can't do his claim justice here but I think he explains it really well in this interview: http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201104211000
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Very interesting:))

BUMP