Baked chicken with a crunch? Help!

Options
mlpaint
mlpaint Posts: 85 Member
Does anyone have a recipe for a crunchy baked chicken? I am one of the weird people who love chicken skin because of the texture but I obviously can't eat it anymore :(. I'm looking for a healthier way to get that crunch! Ideas?

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have used Crushed up fried onions in the package...it is good! :)
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so I don't have first hand experience, but on Food Network, sometimes they coat the chicken in crushed up corn flakes.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    you can crumble up corn flakes and put your favorite seasoning in it roll your chicken it in and bake it...if done right it should taste just like fried chicken
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I use progresso Itaian panko bread crumbs. I soak the chicken in buttermilk for at least a day before. (butter milk is very low in fat, believe it or not) and then coat them in in the bread crumbs. some times I add a little parmesean to the bread crumbs. I like the italian much much better then the plain. Also, I use thin cutlets instead of the breasts. I feel like I am teating more that way.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've used StoveTop stuffing mix with delicious results. Just coat the chicken in egg and cover in stuffing mix and bake!
  • Nikki_Gets_Fit
    Nikki_Gets_Fit Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've used StoveTop stuffing mix with delicious results. Just coat the chicken in egg and cover in stuffing mix and bake!

Yum! That sounds good...I don't have any ideas though. I usually marinate mine and broil it.
  • vulrich93
    Options
    My co-worker said she tried cornflakes for the batter. I don't know the exact recipe, but it's a good starting point! :)
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    You could try the shake & bake. They have a crunchy one, I'm not sure of the nutritional content but the buffalo wasn't that much at all.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've done the cornflakes, bread crumbs and the fried onions. Tried the bread crumbs and fried onions together once and it was pretty yummy!
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for a crunchy baked chicken? I am one of the weird people who love chicken skin because of the texture but I obviously can't eat it anymore :(. I'm looking for a healthier way to get that crunch! Ideas?

_Faux__Fried_Chicken_and_Coleslaw_002.jpg?size=sw460

This is my absolute FAVORITE "Fried" chicken recipe!
    http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Main/Chicken/recipe.html?dishid=10616

I usually use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, instead of bone in.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Coat it in coarsely crushed rice crispies, flour, salt, thyme, and poultry seasoning.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    one of our fav's is the South Beach Diet recipe for "Oven-Fried Chicken with Almonds"

1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup finely chopped almonds (we use pecans)
    2 TBS dried parsley
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp thyme
    pinch of pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil (you may just want to spray the chicken with pam or an olive oil spray and adjust the fat grams)
    2 lbs chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2" thickness and cut into 12 pieces

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine and thoroughly mix bread crumbs, cheese, nuts and all spices/herbs. Place oil in a shallow dish (or spray chicken, both sides). Dip the chicken (or spray) in the oil, then dredge in the bread crumb mixture. Place chicken in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes. 6 servings. Per serving: 383 calories, 16 g fat, 41 g protein, 15 carbs, 1 g fiber, 91 mg cholesterol, 730 mg sodium
  • mlpaint
    mlpaint Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yum! I'm going to try the cornflakes one tomorrow! Thanks for all of the great tips! Especially the cuttlets. Those might even be more appealing to my toddler.
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    Yum! I'm going to try the cornflakes one tomorrow! Thanks for all of the great tips! Especially the cuttlets. Those might even be more appealing to my toddler.

Another thing I have found to help make it "crispy/crunchy" is to give it a light spray with cooking spray.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thank you,,,that sounds really good
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    BUMPETY BUMP!
  • dreamweaver47
    dreamweaver47 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i use boneless chicken, spray it with I cant believe it's not butter and cover the chicken in low sodium ritz crackers that have been crushed up. cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 min then uncover and cook an additional 15 min .yum yum
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do crushed cornflakes with shredded parmasan cheese (just a bit) and a packet of ranch dip mix to coat the chicken. It's a family favorite!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Use fiber one cereal not the flake one. The one that looks like well it doesn't look good at all. But actually has a nice sweet taste to it. Run it through a food processor then dredge your chicken in egg and coat. It also makes great baked onion rings.