An oily situation

Options
So, my school cafeteria is quite health-conscious. I asked the chefs about their grilled veggies. They said they never use butter or trans fat, but the vegetables would have small amounts of their canola/olive oil blend. I had carrots for lunch. They were by no means covered in oil. More like...uh...matte lipstick that's had a dab of gloss artfully applied in the center.

But how much oil should I put in for my food diary?

Oh! I inquired about the parfaits, if anyone remembers Phoenixflame's Tale of Woe. It's actually a pretty moderate calorie amount! Around 280 calories, because they use lowfat yogurt and granola. I am SO friggin happy. I was beside myself thinking I'd accidentally ingested a 500 calorie breakfast.

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So, my school cafeteria is quite health-conscious. I asked the chefs about their grilled veggies. They said they never use butter or trans fat, but the vegetables would have small amounts of their canola/olive oil blend. I had carrots for lunch. They were by no means covered in oil. More like...uh...matte lipstick that's had a dab of gloss artfully applied in the center.

But how much oil should I put in for my food diary?

Oh! I inquired about the parfaits, if anyone remembers Phoenixflame's Tale of Woe. It's actually a pretty moderate calorie amount! Around 280 calories, because they use lowfat yogurt and granola. I am SO friggin happy. I was beside myself thinking I'd accidentally ingested a 500 calorie breakfast.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the amount of carrots you ate. You could always let them sit and see if any drains off. Or just eat a couple grams of fat less than you need for the day. I really have never been that exact with my numbers and I don't have a problem losing, so it may not be worth the stress.
  • LucyJ
    LucyJ Posts: 13
    Options
    I have some restaurant/ culinary school experience that *might* help. Might is the key word here because every kitchen/ caffeteria is different, so I don't know their exact method. My best guess would be to count the oil as 1/4 tsp. per cup of carrots to be safe. Hardly any oil would be needed to prepare even a large batch of carrots. So basically, it's up to your discretion to count it or not. Unless if you eat over three cups a day. :bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Walk up an extra flight of stairs and call it even :flowerforyou: