Geocaching burns WHAT?

Ok, so my family started geocaching today (which was sooooo awesome!) and did it for about 5 hours (driving between sites). When I tried to figure out how many calories I burned, I had some trouble. It totally depends on the terrain and the length of time we spent at each site. I decided to put "hiking cross country" in as the type of exercise, but didn't know what to put for time. I ended up putting 30 minutes because I probably spent lots of time driving, but I really think it was more like a solid hour of "hiking." However that burned over 600 calories and I didn't feel like I should include that high of a number. What have others logged for calories burned?? (ps, if you haven't tried geocaching yet you need to. my 5 year old LOVED finding treasures!)

Replies

• mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    so annoying when people take them !!! argggghhhhh
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I think I would probably use the 'Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog' rather than hiking cross country. My husband and I hike. We also geocache. The geocaching is definitely more leisurely. :-)
  • jaybee25
    jaybee25 Posts: 117
    Love geo caching as well!!! so much fun...however I'm not sure what it would burn...I'd go cross country as well maybe time and add all you min together next time :)
  • kstew1010
    kstew1010 Posts: 1 Member
    I cache, too....and I tell you some days its not so leisurely....especially up and down hills, bending, reaching, etc......i just got back from about 2.5 hours in the fields and i was SWEATING with just a long sleeve and a sweatshirt on (its 33 here). I"M not sure either, but it's more than walking the dog, that's for sure!
  • The Geocaching site itself lists the sport as a 300 calories / 60 minutes activity.
    I just added it in as a personal exercise.
  • francaise3
    francaise3 Posts: 89 Member
    Love geocaching! And when we go - we usually bike, so that way I know the km and time. Sometimes we go on like 5 hours tour - really good way how to relax and burn some calories as well! :)