Sit Up Stress!

Options
Okay so I know I'm not going to get into it really easily, but I'm having a really hard time with sit ups and push ups. At the moment I weigh 264 lbs. I know that will add extra stress for push ups so I'm not too worried about it till I get heavier into the weight training, but sit ups I can do... but is it always going to hurt so much and take so much out of me... Literally ten of them later and I feel like i'm going to die... So sad!

Replies

• kissiefish
    Options
    just keep going. if you can do 10, do 10, in a week, push yourself to do 11, then 12. Slow and steady. this is not a race, it's a marathon. I always tell myself "you can go a little longer". My husband and I play table tennis at work on lunch. I was ready to be done after about 20 min, but I kept telling myself, you CAN do 30. You'd be shocked how much you move around playing no rules, no score table tennis. It's a wild game. You go after EVERTHING!

all that to say, just keep moving...just keep doing. it will improve. Proud of you for starting! I waited til I was 42 to start.
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about sit-ups I would try one of the challenges that are online:
    http://www.twohundredsitups.com/
    This one is a 6 week program that gradually gets you doing more sit-ups, up to 200. I am currently doing the 6 week program for 100 push-ups and I can really feel a difference :). I started out doing 10 at a time, and now can do over 40 3 weeks in.
  • n3wlif3styl3
    Options
    it's not your weight, it's just when you first start doing any type of exercise it's going to be tiring or hurt. but you gotta just push past the pain!! in the moment it is so hard, but just imagine the feeling after you accomplished what you set out to do!!! and Jillian Michael's says on her workout videos "pain is weakness leaving the body" every time you feel a burn must mean you're pushing yourself to a next level

hope that could help. stick in there!!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great, you can do 10 situps!!!!!! Build from there. Do 10 at a time this week, next week push for 11, and so on and so forth. We all have to start somewhere. The biggest accomplishment is that you showed up, you are here, you are making the choice for a healthier life. Own those 10, then own those 15, then 20, and so on. You got this!

For pushups, start with modified pushups on your knees. Work your way up slowly. Take it in moderation and build on it.

This isn't easy. If it were easy we would all be super-athletes.

Be proud of what you can do and build on it. Slow and steady wins this race. A lifestyle change doesn't happen over night, it takes lots of time, energy, dedication, sacrifice, and hard work. But its attainable for anyone and everyone, its not out of reach. You can do it friend!!! Best of luck! :smile: