Holiday foods

Options
amunet07
amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
Man! I definately have to fight my old habits when it comes to holiday food.

One of my favorites is the "Christmas Time Only" mint M&Ms. They get to be so hard to find as it gets closer to Christmas...so I bought a bunch of bags and emptied them into my candy machine (portion control due to knob rotation??) So... when I want some I figured (I have the double stuft sized ones) 14 pieces is about 98 calories so I turned the knob collect them count 14 and put them in a ziplock bag then I savor them by biting off the shell and disolving the mint chocolate in my mouth. The problem is still that I want to go through that big long process 3 to 4 times a day. It takes great will power not to. Somedays if I have the calories and feel that I've eaten enough "healthy stuff" I have had two bags and ONE day I had 3 bags!

Will this always be a struggle to not just eat a fav food excessively???:embarassed:

What is your food of choice like that?

Replies

• amunet07
    Options

One of my favorites is the "Christmas Time Only" mint M&Ms. They get to be so hard to find as it gets closer to Christmas...so I bought a bunch of bags and emptied them into my candy machine (portion control due to knob rotation??) So... when I want some I figured (I have the double stuft sized ones) 14 pieces is about 98 calories so I turned the knob collect them count 14 and put them in a ziplock bag then I savor them by biting off the shell and disolving the mint chocolate in my mouth. The problem is still that I want to go through that big long process 3 to 4 times a day. It takes great will power not to. Somedays if I have the calories and feel that I've eaten enough "healthy stuff" I have had two bags and ONE day I had 3 bags!

Will this always be a struggle to not just eat a fav food excessively???:embarassed:

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

YAY! You have come far.....portion control....it works! What a very cool idea you've come up with for yourself to enjoy something limited each year ...and then learning to limit your portions too!

If you portion them out they will surely last well beyond the Season they sell in as well....so you're thinkin Girl!

For myself....no, it's not the struggle it used to .....I find I feel how my body and mind feels is much much more important to me now than eating a food that's gonna be there anytime I chose to work it in my cals and either feeling guilty or crappy for eating too much of a treat or worse..BOTH well, it's just plain so not worth it to feel full and icky!:noway: :ohwell: .

I realize it's a sneaky thing when the companies bring out seasonal items that you know won't be back till next year....Easter is a good example as well....:laugh:

Now that you've got your portion control dispenser machine in place, your baggies, your cals figured out with how many you can have for each portion. Would it help to spread them more throughout the day so you could enjoy them further through the day? Did that make sense? :blushing: :laugh:

I was just thinking if you could preplan them in your day like any other food then you could enjoy them guilt free which makes anything more enjoyable and if you eat 3 bags then that 300-ish cals, but perhaps preplanning how much you want to allot yourself might help you feel better in control?

Oh I just recalled someone sharing how they have a candy dish of dark chocolate kisses on their table and each night they know they have so many they have figured in for their daily sweet treat (1 portion at the end of their day)...seems to be working well for them.:bigsmile:

Just some thoughts is all.......

Oh regarding your questions on foods..... well, when I see a food or my brain sees a commercial or anything that way that used to be able to snag me to go buy it.... the urge just isn't there like it used to be.

If indeed I do decide to buy something....it's simply not the same as it used to be, not the taste, nothing....I used to eat not really enjoying the food but to cover feelings....sadness, pain, lonliness, boredom, depression (sometimes) etc..etc....I do other things if those feelings come up now, new interests I"ve developed over time, that make me feel good about me:bigsmile: .

So no food really hasn't got the huge power over me like it used to......

Be interesting to hear from others on your post:smile:
  • Zborni4
    Zborni4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Where do you get a candy machine? Sounds fun.
  • amunet07
    Options
    I ordered it online( cant remember the webstore name but if you Google Candy Machines...?) when I used to own a gift shop... but you can get one at Linens & Things... (but hurry! they are going out of business and the machines are probably marked down! :happy:
  • amycakes812
    Options
    My big weakness has always been fries. They got bonus points in my book if they had the right amount of salt...preferably fresh cut and fried in peanut oil. Even better when I could dip them in mayo and ketchup. I always thought I would never gain the willpower to walk away from one. (At one point I seriously considered going to one of those stop smoking, lose weight hypnotists to have them make me not like fries!)
    I guess within the last month I have been able to turn away from them. They don't even taste that good anymore. I guess it is eating so much healthier in general. We went out this weekend and DH ordered a large basket of fresh cut fries. I had maybe 10 of them, then pushed them away! There was a time I would have hogged the whole basket, but I think I have conquered the addiction!
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am a sweet junkie. It is hard to have anything sweet in portion but I some how have managed. The worst though I would have to say is Oreos:love: . It's so hard to eat just two. I can down at least two rows without even thinking about it possibly even the whole bag. I try not to buy them so I am not so tempted.
  • amunet07
    Options
    My big weakness has always been fries. They got bonus points in my book if they had the right amount of salt...preferably fresh cut and fried in peanut oil. Even better when I could dip them in mayo and ketchup. I always thought I would never gain the willpower to walk away from one. (At one point I seriously considered going to one of those stop smoking, lose weight hypnotists to have them make me not like fries!)
    I guess within the last month I have been able to turn away from them. They don't even taste that good anymore. I guess it is eating so much healthier in general. We went out this weekend and DH ordered a large basket of fresh cut fries. I had maybe 10 of them, then pushed them away! There was a time I would have hogged the whole basket, but I think I have conquered the addiction!

I can understand that one. Before I was "educated" I used to wolf-down a wonderful thing called Carne asada Fries. (French fries, Guacamole, cheese & steak) mmm... VERY VERY BAD. I say away from those now (for the most part). The other day I had a terrible day and shared an order. Yikes!
  • amycakes812
    Options

I can understand that one. Before I was "educated" I used to wolf-down a wonderful thing called Carne asada Fries. (French fries, Guacamole, cheese & steak) mmm... VERY VERY BAD. I say away from those now (for the most part). The other day I had a terrible day and shared an order. Yikes!

OMG that sounds SO good! I'm glad I was never introduced to that. :bigsmile:
  • fjones0021
    Options
    my favorite would have to be anything sweet like dirt pudding which is a dessert I make for all holidays, and then I LOVE BROCCOLI CASSEROLE....

this holiday food is working against me :P

BUT IM GETTING AHOLD OF ALL THESE CRAVINGS ...I'VE GOT TO LEARN SELF-CONTROL.... I dont need the attitude that I can eat it if I want... I need to be thinking about my overall health!!!

:drinker: heres to me, and heres to you :drinker: we can do this... we just have to stay positive:wink:
  • Mimiche
    Options
    My family and neighbours baking makes me go weak at the knees.
    My mom sent me a package of cinamon buns today. And I like them slathered in butter.
    I froze them hoping I won't eat any, only once a week perhaps.
    But I don't want them to go to waste! My mom baked them just for me!

My brother also can eat anything and EVERYTHING and not gain a pound, so he usually pesters mom for chocolate baking goodies around the holidays.. my mom makes amazing fudge, chocolate peanut butter balls, sugar cookies, brownies, chocolate cup cakes, peanut brittle, chocolate skor bites, among others.
    How can I resist the giant platter of goodies thats on the table for everyone to enjoy?
    Every time I walk buy I grab just one treat (say one peice of Nanamio cake, or one peice of caramel), but at least 3 or 4 times a day. AAAAH, it's terrible!