Home made baking vs. Packaged baking?

Options
Don't get me wrong, I know both goodies are techinically unhealthy. :heart: But so.. tasty!
Anyways!

I was wondering which was worse (calorie wise, fat, nutrituon etc..).. home made baking or packaged? My mom bakes alot for the holidays, she uses real sugar and margarine, but usually monitors the amount of chocolate or nuts put it.

I ate a small cinnamon bun today that my grandma had baked, but there was no "home made" on MFP so I just logged the Pillbury Dough Boy packaged ones down. But do you think the home made ones are lower in calories or fat?
The same goes with cakes and cookies? Like is my mom's home made ginger bread healthier then the prepackaged kinds you buy? Or are the virtually the same because they use the same ingredients? Its hard to tell with baking, unless you log each ingredient :)

I'm not really asking for any purpose, I'm not going to eat a ton of my cinnamon buns if they are lower in calories then the packaged ones, was simply wondering if home made is truely better?

(Maybe its just all about the love and care put into them :flowerforyou: ?)

Replies

• Mimiche
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I know both goodies are techinically unhealthy. :heart: But so.. tasty!
    Anyways!

I was wondering which was worse (calorie wise, fat, nutrituon etc..).. home made baking or packaged? My mom bakes alot for the holidays, she uses real sugar and margarine, but usually monitors the amount of chocolate or nuts put it.

I ate a small cinnamon bun today that my grandma had baked, but there was no "home made" on MFP so I just logged the Pillbury Dough Boy packaged ones down. But do you think the home made ones are lower in calories or fat?
    The same goes with cakes and cookies? Like is my mom's home made ginger bread healthier then the prepackaged kinds you buy? Or are the virtually the same because they use the same ingredients? Its hard to tell with baking, unless you log each ingredient :)

I'm not really asking for any purpose, I'm not going to eat a ton of my cinnamon buns if they are lower in calories then the packaged ones, was simply wondering if home made is truely better?

(Maybe its just all about the love and care put into them :flowerforyou: ?)
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Anyways!

I ate a small cinnamon bun today that my grandma had baked, but there was no "home made" on MFP so I just put down the Pillbury Dough Boy packaged ones down. But do you think the home made ones are healthy, or the packaged ones?
    The same goes with cakes and cookies, or are the virtually the same because they use the same ingredients?

I'm not really asking for any purpose, I'm not going to eat a ton of my cinnamon buns if they are lower in calories then the packaged ones, was simply wondering what was the better choice?

my own thoughts on the matter would be when I do baking, though it's rare anymore.... I know what ingredients I put in ...no additives, no High Fructose Corn Syrup.....ya know that sort of thing....so I would say....regarding chemicals the factory made ones would weigh on the less healthy side in my thoughts.

If you have the recipe of the item that was homemade that you ate you can use the sparkpeople.com recipe calculator to figure out the nutrition on the recipe. Then compare that to the purchased product.

If I was planning on eating treats...I think I'd go for the homemade vs. processed.... we know what butter is....but do we really know what some of the fats etc. are that are placed in the processed foods?:huh: :noway:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Packaged will probably have fewer calories - homemade tends to ignore the correct serving size.

However, I agree with Fitness Chick that the preservatives, corn syrup, etc that are in the packaged treats are much worse for you.

I always go with homemade in small servings. :smile:
  • ceedee22ed
    Options
    Hi
    you need to check this page, it can help you calculate values of homemade recipes, then you can add them to your mfp food list

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

It is very easy and clear. Hope this helps you!!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Hi
    you need to check this page, it can help you calculate values of homemade recipes, then you can add them to your mfp food list

That's what I was going to tell you to do.

Also, sometimes if I'm just being lazy I will google the recipe and find one that has similar ingredients to what I'm eating and go with those calories. Like the other day I was making runzas. So I googled "runza recipe calories" and I got several recipes for runzas that also offer the nutrientional information. I found the recipe closest to my own and went with that.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm with those that think homemade is better. Besides not getting all the junk they put into packaged stuff. For me I find the flavor is so much better I can eat a smaller amount and be satisfied. I won't even use a cake mix. They taste to chemical. Angel food is my favorite!
    Kelly
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I bake from scratch a lot. They are usually at least double the calories. BUT when you bake hmemade you can make healthy substitutions if you choose too. And there's the chemicals in packages. I gotta say, if I'm gonna splurge... I'd much rather do it with a delicious homemade item, even if it is twice the calories! :blushing: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Hi

That's what I was going to tell you to do.

Also, sometimes if I'm just being lazy I will google the recipe and find one that has similar ingredients to what I'm eating and go with those calories. Like the other day I was making runzas. So I googled "runza recipe calories" and I got several recipes for runzas that also offer the nutrientional information. I found the recipe closest to my own and went with that.
    tee hee hee...someone on here that knows what a runza is...:blushing: :drinker: