Am I eating right? or wrong?

Options
Help! I'm trying really hard to get this eating "right" thing right. Basically, I'm trying to stick to around 1200 calories a day (sometimes I got over, especially if I do a lot of exercise).

Anyway - the problem I'm having is that I'm eating the same things I've always eaten, just in smaller amounts. Is that the right way to do it? or the wrong? I basically haven't cut anything out of my diet, I just eat much less of it. I don't eat a lot of fast food or heavily processed foods normally. But I am still having frozen yogurt a few times a week and still cooking most of the same meals I always have. I'm also not hungry or anything. I feel fine as I'm eating what I want.

So, basically - is the whole idea to eat less food? Or should I be cutting stuff out? I'm still eating past for dinner sometimes. I was in a bind the other night so I picked up a grilled chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-a and a small fry. I made a homemade chicken pot pie for dinner last night (with lowfat milk and chicken broth as the sauce in it).

I feel like I'm missing something somewhere on what I should be eating/not eating. If it's possible i would be happy to share my food diary with someone more knowledgeable then myself to see if I'm on a good track, or need to change up.

FYI - I am exercising and drinking LOTS of water.

Replies

• hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hiya - it'd be easier if you opened your diary? Lots of people open their diaries so others can see what they're doing/not doing etc...

Sounds good though
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Help! I'm trying really hard to get this eating "right" thing right. Basically, I'm trying to stick to around 1200 calories a day (sometimes I got over, especially if I do a lot of exercise).

Anyway - the problem I'm having is that I'm eating the same things I've always eaten, just in smaller amounts. Is that the right way to do it? or the wrong? I basically haven't cut anything out of my diet, I just eat much less of it. I don't eat a lot of fast food or heavily processed foods normally. But I am still having frozen yogurt a few times a week and still cooking most of the same meals I always have. I'm also not hungry or anything. I feel fine as I'm eating what I want.

So, basically - is the whole idea to eat less food? Or should I be cutting stuff out? I'm still eating past for dinner sometimes. I was in a bind the other night so I picked up a grilled chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-a and a small fry. I made a homemade chicken pot pie for dinner last night (with lowfat milk and chicken broth as the sauce in it).

I feel like I'm missing something somewhere on what I should be eating/not eating. If it's possible i would be happy to share my food diary with someone more knowledgeable then myself to see if I'm on a good track, or need to change up.

FYI - I am exercising and drinking LOTS of water.

While it is true that a calorie is a calorie and by eating less of what you have been eating (portion control) will help you lose weight... it won't necessarily make you any healthier. A change in lifestyle by including fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats and healthy fats will help you stay on the road to success and keep the weight off. I created a calorie comparison visual last night. It helps us see where our calories could be spent during the course of the day. Try to improve your food where ever you can and your body and heart will thank you!!!

Good luck!!!

food2.jpg
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Honestly everyone has a different version of "eating right" you will have those who eat clean, those who eat paleo, and those who have refined "eating right" as theyve lost.

Personally I started the same way as you, drastically reducing portions, then I switched to lean cuisines and salads to help learn portion control and to make "healthy" foods easier to obtain despite the cost and sodium level, Now I prefer alot of my own foods, I eat a ton more salads, I eat alot more whole and raw foods, I eat primarily gluten free. And yes I still enjoy movie thatre popcorn, ice cream, and frozen yogurt in proper portion. I still drink an occasionaly coke, I still have starbucks.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think that is GREAT! I believe as long as you pay attention to portions & serving sizes. You said your not eating fast food or processed food so that is GREAT!!! I have been paying close attention to those things. I don't stay hungry & I just try to make sure I add FRUIT 3 times a day & VEGGIES with EVERY meal & lots of water with no matter what I'm eating. I have been consistant with losing 1lb a week & that is what my Dr. calls a HEALTHY weight loss & I want to change my lifestyle not "DIET" then go back to bad eating habbits & gain it all back. I think your doing a good job. Keep up the GOOD work!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating enough calories and getting the right amounts of carbs, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals, you're fine. The body doesn't care what form they come in, they all get broken down in the same way.
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

I opened my diary so it can be viewed by friends. So if anyone wants to take a look and see if I'm "eating right", please feel free to "friend" me.

I guess I just feel as though I can (or should) be doing more, since I am still enjoying the foods I usually eat. Granted, I always like fruits and vegetables - but I also like cookies and cake, which I am still eating - just less of.

Like someone said - I don't want to diet. I want to eat right and be able to continue to eat right and healthy once I loose the weight I want to loose.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i completely agree with the sentiment of not "dieting" but instead changing your lifestyle. that being said, you shouldn't have to "cut" things out of your diet completely. i just try to eat more fresh foods, more veggies and more fruits. but if i've been working out really hard, and i want to eat a slice of pizza... i'm not going to deny myself that. i think it's all about portion control and keeping things in control.