Is it better to not eat past 7 at night ??

Options
2»

Replies

• jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    xkt6xc.png

yup.
    having a cutoff time for eating would be torture for me.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    About 10 yrs ago I lost 40 lbs over a 4 month period eating a bowl of oatmeal mixed with FF cottage cheese right before bed.....

Your body still requires a nice, even, supply of fuel though the night.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    It depends on who you talk to. I have heard the same thing. I have also heard you have a certain amount of calories to eat in a day and it doesn't matter when you eat it. Hmm I am not sure. I think there has to be a happy medium ya know? I think that if you eat 5 candy bars after 6-7 pm I don't think so!! I try to eat dinner and then not eat after that. I drink water.
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If that person was bingeing at night, I could see there'd be a difference making a cut-off time.

Personally, I tend to be a late night snacker. So I have to balance out my day if I'm going to eat like that-- you know, save up some calories for the evening.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's not the time on the clock, it is the quality of the calories you put in your body. A 200 calorie donut is way different than 200 calories of salad.

Also, my husband and I always eat dinner after 7pm. I typically get home from the gym at 7:45 and we normally eat at 8:30pm. My husband is the perfect weight for his height and I'm back on track now right where I should be. It was not the later dinner times that made me gain weight in recent years. It was eating lots of 'free' food at work and when I traveled for work.

Eating after 7pm is not a bad thing--just remember it is all about the quality of those calories. Whole foods, clean eating is key!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it's a nonsense generalisation. How does this rule know how you work, what time you go to bed, do you work nights, have you been able to eat at all in the last 12 hours?

It's as silly as the "8 cups of water" thing - same 8 cups for a 120 lb runner and a 300 lb couch potato?

Listen to your body.

Agreed!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you typically binge and go over your calories eating a quart of ice cream at 8pm, then... yeah, it'll help.

If you eat healthy meals and snacks and keep within your calorie range, it doesn't matter when you eat. My husband doesn't get home from work until 8-8:30, so that's when we eat. When he worked 3rd shift, our biggest meal of the day was lunch instead of supper, and eating a big meal at noon vs 8pm didn't affect my progress either way.
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes - your metabolism slows down at night, therefore your body will store the 'unused energy' if you need to eat, have something high in protein (with minimal carbs) like a protein shake with water.

LOL at this entire post. Are we back in the 1990's again?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Yes - your metabolism slows down at night, therefore your body will store the 'unused energy' if you need to eat, have something high in protein (with minimal carbs) like a protein shake with water.

LOL at this entire post. Are we back in the 1990's again?

Must be. I wish I was reading while I ate my bowl of banana oatmeal right before bed last night.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Hey it worked for me, when i lost 80 lbs. Just one if the many little things i did. btw it wasnt after 7 it was 3 or 4 hours before bed.
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey it worked for me, when i lost 80 lbs. Just one if the many little things i did. btw it wasnt after 7 it was 3 or 4 hours before bed.

What worked for you was being a caloric deficit for an extended period of time, NOT when your last meal was.
  • elsieshaye
    elsieshaye Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic on insulin, and if I don't eat a little something right before bed I risk waking up at 3 am with very low blood sugar (not a good thing). It hasn't affected my weight loss.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    lol. so many lol's here.