Breast implants after weight loss...anyone?? :(

Options

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I had my breasts done in 1999 and have been happy with them ever since. I haven't lost any breast sensation and feel fabulous. As the poster above me stated, they make me feel whole and feminine. They were a gift I gave myself after losing some weight that took me from a 34B to a 32AA!!

I encourage you to do all your homework, get consultations with several Dr.s before choosing, and make sure they are board certified.

Please message me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. :)
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ok, so now you get implants, next year you get "perfect" breasts but you'll think your cheeks are ugly too so you undergo surgery and fix the "problem". But then you realize that you don't like your nose, OMG new surgery... hopefully either you or your daddy are very rich.

Wow...Very negative don't ya think?

I was thinking the same thing :(

I mean if that's what she wants to do, why judge her it. Aren't we all better than that. We all have the same goal here: losing weight and feeling better about ourselves. Geez people.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Is the risk of losing breast sensation worth it? Consider that point. Small breasts are a gift if you're an athlete.

if anything mine are more sensitive than ever. Also makes no difference to my workouts. I wear a good sports bra of course

Even if id lost sensitivity, yes it would have been worth it. I felt like a freak. They looked like wrinkly old spaniels ears, and was embarrassed to be naked in front of my partner.
    I didnt want massive knockers. I just wanted normal sized and shaped boobs
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    wow this is a big subject and I wanna say a few things about it. My feelings about plastic surgery vary greatly on the motive and the result of the surgery. People who were morbidly obese who lost a lot of weight and have extra skin...well, to me getting surgery then seems like it's more about reconstruction or repair from damage from something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. But women with perfectly normal healthy bodies getting surgery to match some disturbing social standard out of low self esteem is different. Its this latter category that ought to seek out therapy because it's true that NO WOMAN will ever be a PERFECT women by societal beauty standards- they photoshop those images and everyone ages. So that's where I make the distinction.

You of course will have to do what's right for you. And everyone is different. But I think that the anti-implant sentimentality isn't just about class and it isn't just about jealousy (though class is an issue actually). I think some of us realize how our negative body image is part of a larger societal attitude that negatively impacts women and girls and when a woman gets impants and surgery just to meet those standards, it can indicate to those of us who are working against that negative part of our cutlure that this woman is not only Not in the ranks with us fighting that problem, she's paying her hard earned money to conform to it.

On the other hand, I caution against being overly negative about surgery because I whole heartedly embrace the fact that women CAN get this kind of surgery to repair damage- like women who have lost breasts to cancer. Or women who were morbidly obese getting a tummy tuck or a breast lift. I support that. I don't think you should have to walk around your entire life feeling shameful of your body being disfigured because you used to be extremely unhealthy (or even just because that's what happened when you were pregnant)- I think this sort of reconstructive surgery should be paid for by insurance and treated the same as any other reconstructive surgery.

And I also caution against being overly negative about surgery because, like other choices women are free to make today, we don't know any woman's personal story behind what she is doing to her body and I support any woman's freedom and right to make choices about her own body, regardless of how I feel about the choice itself.

I have lost girth due to weight loss and breastfeeding...and I've thought about surgery, sure. But I realized that I'm not disfigured, I'm just not like the girls in the magazines and I realize I wouldn't want my daughter or any other woman to feel bad about not being like the girls in the magazines, so I make the personal decision to refuse to conform to it. I'd rather spend my money on an adventure with my loved ones....but I'm also very lucky. I haven't any horrible stretch marks or loose skin. I never lost a body part to a disease. While I'm no Pamela Anderson (hahahaha! yes I picked her on purpose!), I'm relatively well proportioned and the problems I have with my body I realize are unrealistic and unhealthy and for my own political and psychological reasons, I feel a far stronger and more beautiful woman by choosing to refuse to get surgery.
  • pippyrlz23
    pippyrlz23 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think people who are being overtly negative are missing the point here. She's not an 18 year old girl with a near perfect body who wants to get a boob job to go from a 32C to a 32DDD to make her jerk off boyfriend happy. She is someone who has lost weight and in that her breasts have been alter by the weight loss. She's wanting to make them normal again so she can feel comfortable in her own skin. There is nothing wrong with that. It's a CHOICE. Some people are for it, some people are against it and that's okay. Everyone needs to educate themselves, weigh out the pros and cons and make the best decision for them. There's no reason to be mean, rude or pass judgement.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I yes to implants if they "firm" you up.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last few posters. The issue is not necesarily one of pure self-esteem. This issue is more about "repairing damage". Those of you who are being negative, think about this. If you had been in an accident that disfigured your face, would you seek out plastic surgery to repair the damage to look better, or would you decide to deal with the disfigurement so that you wouldn't succumb to society's pressures to look a certain way? I would bet that most of you would absolutely seek surgical solutions to repair damage. Someone who has lost a significant amount of weight is dealing with physical remnants of being that obese that someone who loses 10-25 lbs would probably not experience (I did happen to notice that those who were the most negative have a fairly small amount of weight to lose). Until you walk in another person's shoes, you should probably try to keep an open mind.

I can speak from personal experience. In my early 20's, I lost 40 lbs and looked phenomenol. I lost some breast cup size, but "the girls" still looked relatively o.k. (though they could always be bigger and perkier). Now that I am older and have more to lose, when I reach my goal weight, I will have significantly more damage to deal with in that area.

Keep an open mind and learn how to be honest with kindness. Sometimes anonymity (as is provided in these types of message boards) brings out the worst in people.
  • onetwentysomething
    onetwentysomething Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for you! :smile:
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I absolutely plan on both a tummy tuck and breast lift with small implant once I maintain for a year. The only person I'm doing it for is myself. As someone mentioned, surgery after weght loss is often reconstructive. That's a wonderful part of being a woman in America, we have the freedom to make our own decisions and spend our money how we see fit.

I don't agree with the decisions a lot of people make, but I don't feel I am in a position to judge, nor do I want to judged.

My personal philosophy is live and let live.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    implants won't make you feel comfortable about your body for long. might wanna try therapy instead and a chat with heidi montag.

Therapy like boob therapy? Can I join this profession?
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better I am all for bolt ons but, you'll probably need a lift as well so they look perkier.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Mine were never big, but were deflated. I LOVE my fake boobs...they aren't giant, but make me feel better and more proportionate. So happy I got them. Do what you want, life is too short :)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    It's refreshing to see (most) people being sincere and honest. I thought this topic would be a cat fight by now.

But, back to the topic...I am just starting to let this thought enter my mind. I really hate how mine look after losing 100 lbs. Like someone mentioned, they're fine in a bra, but without one? :sick:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My daughter had implants as her 30th birthday present to herself. She is happy with her decision and if she's happy I'm happy. She intends to have some "bodywork" for her 40th, in 2 years, and I say Bravo.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I say d what is right for you!! I have lost two sizes since losing weight and once I am done, I plan on having them lifted and go back to my orginal, god given size. I am done having babies and I do not see anything wrong with enhancing what you have. I would just say consider all options and make the choice for you and only you!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    YES, I have lost weight and in return, I got implants. They were my reward, as I put it. You don't need therapy for god's sake, you just want all your hard work to "pay off",and I understand totally. I would say that if you can keep the weight off for 1 year, then reward yourself. Great Job!

I SO agree! I have a friend that had implants put in over 30 years ago. Actually I have at least 3 friends that did and not 1 regrets it! And not 1 needed therapy:tongue:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 50lb, and mine have kept good size through out the whole thing (32DD), but I look worse than my mom. As many others have said, they're deflated, and without a bra.... gross. I've considered getting mine done once I have the money, but without a doubt I'll wait until the decision to have or not have kids has been made with my SO. Not that I've always longed to breastfeed, but you don't know how you will change when the time comes.
    I say if it makes you happy naked, do it! Just think about decisions it might alter in the future!
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    So im only 25...but losing 1/3rd of my body weight has left my once big boobies into deflated versions of their former selves :( i busted my butt to get to where I am only to now feel just as bad about a new problem with my body...*sigh*

Does anyone here have implants? Are you happy with your decision?
    I hate to admit it, but the taboo still scares me...like people will look down on me for having "fake" boobs...but the way they look now when i bend forward almost makes me wanna cry...the money is also a factor obviously...but I feel it may be worth the cost to finally feel comfortable in my own body.

Hi! I'm a nurse, too and I teach nursing at the college level. I'm 49 years old. I lost 90 lbs in 1994. It was wonderful! In the 80s I was either pregnant or nursing a baby for 9 years straight (I have 3 adult children now and a grandchild due in Aug!). I worked my tail off to lose the weight by eating right and exercising.

I had gotten my body as good as it could get and there was a lot of loose skin. My belly had a decent sized skin fold (gross) and my breasts looked like empty tube socks. I was only 31 and not ready to have droopy bosoms! So, I got implants, but not huge ones. It was exactly what I needed to refill my then empty socks. :-)

I also had a full abdomonoplasty with a repair of a tear (3"wide) of my rectus abdominis muscle. I tore it during child birth years before. This was an extremely painful recovery, but SO worth it! It also prevented a possible future abdominal hernia.

In 2002, the implants had shifted slightly and I knew the life expectancy could be as short as 10 years. So, I had them removed and got a mastopex y(reduction of the skin). That made my breasts almost the same size as with the implants and much higher (perkier).

All this said, you do end up with scarring from the surgeries, but the scars do fade pretty well. I have no regrets about any of the surgeries as they were exactly what my body needed to adapt to the dramatic weight loss. It was not a matter of becoming addicted to surgery, it was the simple fact that my skin had gotten so "empty!". I would have each surgery all over again, as it was the best choice for me.

Make sure your weight loss is long lasting first, and then decide what's best for you. If you get the implants, definitely go for a smaller size because otherwise it can actually make you feel a bit chunky. Plus, if you go for a C cup, no one will stare as though you had implants. You should also consult your surgeon and inquire whether a mastopexy would be a better option for you. If you like to run or do jumping type aerobic exercise, implants will be much bouncier than a mastopexy. Do what works best for you.

Just realize that time does change things and as you age, gravity pulls the breasts down! It's been 10 years since my mastopexy and my breasts are still perky, they are a little lower than they were after the surgery. Such is life. Enjoy the new you, YOU DESERVE IT!

I hope this helps. :smile:
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have implants. I too thought about the whole 'taboo of people looking down on you for it' but you know what? At the end of the day it's my body, not theirs. I did it for me and for somewhat of a medical reason. I was two different sizes and it was getting pretty frustrating trying to find bra's that fit right, which in the end NONE of them fit right.

So I had the surgery, went to a Full C and have been happy ever since. Im confident and I don't have any problems finding bra's or tops that fit me. I don't care what anyone thinks of me and if they happen to look at my chest and can 'tell' for whatever reason that I do in fact have 'fake' boobs, and then proceed to judge me based on their own opinions, then shame on them.

I say, at the end of the day if this is what YOU really want to do, then do it. You are the one waking up and going to sleep everyday with your body. No one else. If people look down on you for having breast implants then maybe they need to do a little re-evaluating in their own lives before judging someone else's. :drinker: