Does anyone on night shifts have this problem?

Options
I work as a careaide and perform shift work as 5 nights on, followed by either 2 or 3 days off. I was wondering if anyone else who works nights has the problem of not being able to successfully reach their caloric intake goal? Because I sleep during the day I miss quite a few hours that I could be eating lol, and by the time I head out for work again I am sometimes 600-700 calories away from my suggested calorie goal. I know the importance of getting close to your goal in order to lose weight, so if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can successfully reach my caloric intake, I would be very appreciative! :D

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My dad lost 4lbs working nights the past week haha.
    I suggest snacking on nuts throughout the night or having a meal before you leave for a night shift.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I work afternoons ( in a restaurant of all places! ) and I usually
    Don't eat because I am too busy. By the time I get a chance, it is near closing time 11:00) and I am either not hungry, or my lunch i brought is just too heavy for that time of the night. I have just started eating a bigger breakfast and lunch to compensate for the skipped meals on the days I work. I will then eat a granola bar, or some other small, quick type if snack.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not personally as I'm a day walker but my wife is a Baker and finds it hard & at least 1 of my pals works shifts and yeh it can be a real challenge. My wife is now using a service that basically plans a 1800 cal day for you - it takes a lot of the hassle out of it. You could do the same though just be planning ahead - enter all your food for the day on MFP as a plan. It might be a bit of extra hassle but - whatever works...

Good luck
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you'll lose weight being that low on calories.thats just the way the body works..

i dont have that problem. though..i eat around 1800 cals a day..some more..i'm building muscle.

its about planning your meals..i'm sure you eat at night...eat breakfast when you get home and eat dinner when you get up..its as simple as that.
  • jgover
    jgover Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do you sleep at your night job? I have my schedule where I get up at 4, I have a little snack then have "breakfast" with the family at dinnertime, have snack at work at 10:30, "lunch" at 2am, and "dinner" at 6. I sleep from 8:30 till 4 p.m.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't count my 'day' from midnight to midnight so this isn't a problem for me, I eat my meals at unusual hours but I count my day from when I get up (11am) until when I go to bed (2am) - so makes no difference.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    That's interesting, because if I understand you correctly, you're saying that you eat a lot LESS than your suggested calories - whereas I work nights, and seem to have the opposite problem! But I think the difference is that I only work a couple of nights each week, so I don't get into the same kind of routine as you (when you work 5 nights in row).

I just find that I am awake for about 20 to 21 hours out of 24, and I am constantly eating! I eat my usual meals at home, and then go to work and eat sandwiches & snacks through the night too! I wouldn't mind having your problem! :laugh: Seriously though, if you are eating too little when you're at work, could you maybe allow yourself a bit more on your days off? Then it might even out over time...perhaps..! :ohwell:
  • jasmineconley
    jasmineconley Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm up at the wee hours of the morning and I dont close out the day until I am actually done with it versus splitting it up. Just hit the back tab on your day and youre good to go
  • ViolaBoop
    Options
    I think swaymyway makes a good point.... Perhaps the problem is that the beginning and end of your day is dramatically different when you are working and when you are not. I work overnights and find that if I am counting my days as midnight to midnight, I am short on calories on the first night of my weekend (because I'm sleeping), but I figure it all works out by the beginning of my next work week.