Work Outs at home? any suggestions?

Options
Hi. I am a mother of three, work two jobs and go to school 2 nights a week. I barely ever have time to go to the gym. Does anyone have any suggestions for some workouts that I can do daily at home? I seriously began this weight loss journey 1 month ago and I have lost 7 pounds, but I know I need to up my cardio in order to stay on track...

Jess

Replies

• stuartthezeppo
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss so far! The one thing that I use at home regularly is a skipping rope. It's great cardio, isn't expensive and doesn't take much room to store. Keep up the good work!
  • loubulou2209
    Options
    I've always found it hard to fit the gym in because I work such long hours but you can fit exercise into your everyday activities.

Last time I lost a good amount of weight, I ensured I walked as much as I could. Took the stairs instead of the lifts and wore weights on my ankles etc to help. I have quite a few fitness DVDs and used to put music on and have a dance while I did the house work. Washing up became much more interesting!
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    i have a couple of leslie sansone's 'walk at home' dvds which are good cardio...also, the biggest loser bootcamp for strength training is good (also a dvd). a hula hoop is good and as someone else suggested, a jump rope! congrats on your loss so far!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    A rowing machine is great, good cardio and toning :o)
  • KTOlmert
    Options
    Jillian Michel's 30 day shred dvd! Its a 20 Minute workout and works awesome! I have two kids and go to school full time and I love how it only take 20 minutes! I found mine at Walmart for like $10! :wink:
  • esslgs
    esslgs Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi. I am a mother of three, work two jobs and go to school 2 nights a week. I barely ever have time to go to the gym. Does anyone have any suggestions for some workouts that I can do daily at home? I seriously began this weight loss journey 1 month ago and I have lost 7 pounds, but I know I need to up my cardio in order to stay on track...

Jess

I walk outside everyday and recently added (starting day 3) of the 30-day Shred. this DVD takes about 27 minutes and it combinds weights and cardio.
    good luck with you journey.:smile:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    I like the leslies sansone dvds too, but my favourite work out dvds are by Jillian michaels. The 30 day shred is a great place to start. Its a tough work out but only 20 mins long and you dont need much space to do it in
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    I get workout dvds from collagevideo.com. They have thousands, and you can watch a preview to see if you like the instructor.
  • MichaelSmith247
    MichaelSmith247 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you have the XBox Kinect buy the game "Biggest Looser" It works and has all the exercise programs you can enjoy from your living room. Even my daughter likes doing them with me and my wife. There are also games that make you do the same action moves that will get you to where you want to be.
  • Nottm1984
    Nottm1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred DVD is great. It's basically three 20-25minute workouts each at a different level. You basically start on level 1 and move your way up to 3, most people do each level for 10 days at a time. It's a short workout that actually works!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My work outs consist of walking and working out at home. As stuartthezeppo suggested, I would definitely get a jump rope if you don't already. It's a quick, (not so) easy way to burn calories. Someone else here suggested Nike Training Club to me (it's Free also). You can download the app to your phone and get personalized work outs to do at home. I'm trying it out today.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I do most of my working out at home. I have a little dumbell and barbell set plus a exercise ball, I use all that for strength training, and then i have some cardio and HIIT training dvds for the other days. I also jog and bike outside. No gym necessary haha
  • megandurden
    megandurden Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and her Cardio Kickboxing DVD are awesome! Congratulations and best wishes! :)
  • mfpdcg
    mfpdcg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Youtube search "Tabata 4 minutes". Most of these exercises don't even require equipment and can be done quickly at home!

Anything tabata is my go-to home option.

And, they're FREE!
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    A girl I follow from time to time is Zuzana; check out bodyrock.tv and see her routines. Sometimes they are all bodyweight, but she has mixed in equipment too.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I do all of my working out at home and 99% of the time it's with my Wii! I love The Biggest Loser Challenge and Just Dance 2 is great for cardio.